Simplification Quest – Timelapse and Post Mortem

Posted by (twitter: @Adbook_)
April 30th, 2013 7:26 am

It’s been two days since I posted the game, so I thought it might be time to write a post-mortem about it.

You can find the game here:

And here is the timelapse:


This was my second Ludum Dare , and my first compo entry (I participated to the 24th, but posted for the Jam).

I was expecting this LD to be awesome, and I was not disappointed. Making a game in 48 hours is definitely awesome.


So, here’s What went right:

  • The graphics: I’m usually more of a programmer than an artist, but this time, it’s like the opposite happened: while I was having a lot of programming issues, I managed to finish all the sprites I was planning to do, animate the 3 versions of the player, even make a little introduction, and all of this in -relatively- no time (1 hour for the player, 2 hours for the whole tileset, 1 hour for the intro).
  • The level design: In my last LD, I ran out of time and could only make four levels for my game. This time I made 9, which was what was planned. I also wrote a pretty useful level management system which allowed me to directly import Tiled level files (.tmx format). This saved me a lot of time, because Tiled is very efficient and fast, comparated to manually entering CSV values in a file…
  • The early programming:  I am starting to get pretty familiar with the tools I used for the development (C++ with Allegro 5). Indeed,  I  wrote the level management system, the basic gameplay mechanics and the renderer by midday.

And here’s What went wrong:

  • The time management: I posted my game 5 minutes before the deadline (which was 4 a.m for me @_@). While things were right on the saturday, sunday was a totall mess.
  • The music: I’m terribly bad when it comes to music composing, and this time there was no exceptions: I did not even manage to create a correct music for the game (But I did not have a lot of time for this, also).
  • The late programming: My code on sunday was the most buggy and unstable thing I had ever made in my entire life. I wasted at least 2 hours trying to fix Segmentation Faults, Level loading problems, collisions problems, etc…
  • Dealing with the theme: Minimalism did not really inspire me as a theme. I was tempted to make a game with minimalist graphics, and minimalist sounds, and say “Hey, look ! This game is all about minimalism!”, but after a LOT of brainstorming, I finally came out with this Reducing player’s capabilities every 5 levels thing, and this background story.


Once again, I really enjoyed making this game, and I’m looking forward to participate to the next edition !

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]