Host (and sell) your Ludum Dare games with itch.io!

Posted by (twitter: @moonscript)
April 15th, 2013 8:34 pm

Hello everyone! I made a cool site since last LD that you might find interesting. One of the things I’ve tried to do after every Ludum Dare game is make a little page for my game with screenshots and downloads that I can share. I thought that it would be cool if there was a site that let do something like this quickly. So Bam! I created …

itch.io – indie game hosting

It’s a site for developers to host their indie games. You can quickly design a dedicated page for you games(s). There are no banners or links to anything other than your game except a tiny link back to itch.io on the very bottom. The site hosts all your images and game files. You can customize the layout of the page with videos, images, colors and fonts. It even has analytics for downloads and views. It’s free to use, so check it out! Here’s a sample game page for my last Ludum Dare game: http://leafo.itch.io/x-moon

While making it I thought to myself about how there are probably a lot of cool indie games out there that the developer has sitting around for download. I thought it would be neat to apply a pay-what-you-want pricing model to these games so that if someone really likes the game they could give back to the developer. Thus, I added payments support to itch.io! itch.io lets you set a minimum price on your game (which can be 0 to also allow free downloads). It supports both PayPal (with a bunch of currencies) and Amazon Payments (USD only). All you need to do is link your account and you can start selling.

If you don’t want anything to do with money it’s still free to host your game. Feel free to use it for your next Ludum Dare game. I host the files on Google Cloud Storage, giving you a speedy and reliable download.

I’d really appreciate it if you checked it out. I spent a lot of time making it and I’m still adding features so give me your feedback. Thanks!

Tags:

13 Responses to “Host (and sell) your Ludum Dare games with itch.io!”

1. Scott McBee says:

Great looking site, I’ll definitely consider using it after LD26.

One question, though. I remember seeing you post this on HN, and someone pointed out that although everything seems like you can pay $0, there’s a $0.50 transaction fee. Does that still exist?

• leafo says:

I think there was some confusion on Hacker News. There is no transaction fee if you pay nothing (not sure why anyone would think that, it makes no sense). What I’ve done is set the minimum price to 50 cents if you decide to pay (So you are not allowed to buy something for 1 cent, 10 cents, etc.). This is just because when you pay that little the payment provider is getting most, if not all, of the money. It doesn’t make sense to allow someone to pay that little if the developer is getting effectively nothing. I could actually lower it a bit more now that I’ve added Amazon Payments because their fees are structured differently for smaller transactions.

You can read more about payments here: http://itch.io/about/faq#how-does-itchio-handle-payments

2. Sounds good, will sign up later!

3. Xgor says:

This sounds really neat. I’ll really wanted a simple way to host and sell games for a while and this seems great.

4. Crowbeak says:

Looks awesome. Thank you.

5. I’ve put one game on there to see how it works – I like what I see

Check http://aleksandardev.itch.io/aeon

6. I have another question, why don’t you delay payment for example $10 or more is payed after some amount of time. This would lower transaction fees if i get it correctly.

• leafo says:

Not exactly. Whenever someone buys a game a transaction takes place, it doesn’t matter who it goes to or how long it may be delayed. So there is no way around the fee. Paying the developer immediately is the simplest thing to do then.