Ludum Dare 31
Theme:
Entire Game on One Screen

Judging ends in:
It’s time to Play and Rate Games!

PlayRate80Star

Procedural Music Generator

Posted by
February 19th, 2013 8:16 am

Hello!
I have put my procedural music generator online for anyone to try it out :)

I hope that this will be a legit LD48 tool and that you’ll find it useful!

25 Responses to “Procedural Music Generator”

1. Madball says:

Great job! I might even use it in future LDs.
    But no runtime playing? You should add it!

2. Per says:

I currently have two inactivated runtime players: web audio and flash. I used samples for the instruments but they generated so much traffic and trouble.

There will be a player with procedural sounds in browsers supporting web audio though. It would also be cool to have some custom instrument creation where you build your own instrument node graph :)

3. Per says:

I meant html audio/flash, using soundmanager2. The timing was horrible :)

4. Hatscat says:

Great tool! You made the best music generator I know!
    It’s easy to use, customizable, free and it makes really ​​beautiful musics, all I need!

Good ideas for the runtime player and the instruments creation, keep working :)

5. bekolin says:

That’s pretty impressive, great job !

6. Zelen3d says:

Thats soooooooo cool!!! It actually creates good music! I’m sure everybody is going to use it here!
    Also, I would be interested to hear about the technology used and other stuff.
    Good luck, and I hope you will become super rich and famous with this fantastic tool you made.

7. Per says:

I added an early version of a player that only can play one instrument and no percussion.
    It can only be used in browsers that support web audio though…

8. zatyka says:

I think this is fantastic. Thanks so much!

9. wally2069 says:

OK, this is actually pretty neat and I plan on using this for some Ludum Dare type stuff in the future.

10. scriptorum says:

Hey, this is very nice! A little tricky to figure out how to make a decent song better, but still one of the best song generators I’ve ever seen. Keep up the good work.

11. hfdsdsf says:

I can’t see any account button like the tutorial says? Is it intentional, or am I missing something?

• Per says:

I initially had a server that rendered Midis and MP3s but I moved everything to the client instead once I learned a few html5-tricks :)
      The downside is that you can only generate Midis at the moment, but this will change. My current dev version can render simple wavs in the client and this is where I’ll put the custom instruments.
      I’ll first aim for retro-style instruments like in musagi; It will be awesome :)

• Zelen3d says:

You should put a message on your site that says ” temprarelly, no song can be rendered now, but you can listen to some songs to get an idea. Don’t worry, I’ll make it work until the LudumDare :) ” Because if there is no message, you would think that the interface is just too complicated to understand and leave.

12. angelk says:

This is just too cool. I’m really glad I stumbled across this, I’ll try it out next weekend!

13. onzephyr says:

Fantastic. going to have to spend some time figuring this one out.

14. siondream says:

I used it for my LD26 entry and it was absolute awesome, I got very positive feedback regarding the music but the credit is yours! Thanks :-D.

15. erekiel says:

AWESOME !!! I spent hours press “randomize” then play. Greatest tool ever ! Thanks !

16. Robinerd says:

my friend got a really good track using this tool in LD 28, you’ll find it at:

Really awesome tool, thanks a lot!

17. hate-marina says:

Thanks a lot, this tool saved me a few hours on LD 28 :)

18. AkirAssasin says:

nice! will be using it a few hours later :D