Now:

Coming Soon:
Ludum Dare 31
December 5th-8th, 2014

PST: 6 PM
*EST: 9 PM
UTC: 02:00

ConstructionPlease excuse the site weirdness. Mike is making and fixing things. Clocks are probably wrong. Colors are place-holder.

Ludum Dare 31:
Ludum Deals
???

Recent:
MiniLD #XX

ANNOUNCEMENT BAR! I give you important event updates here, but this is usually invisible.

OUYA!!

Posted by
January 3rd, 2013 12:45 pm

This Suese has received his OUYA Dev Kit.   You are witnessing quite possibly the first 3rd party image of a working OUYA console.  How exciting!

Revolutionary Indie game console for the TV.

Revolutionary Indie game console for the TV.

Lots of people said we wouldn’t get this far,  but we did.  The Indie game has changed.  The TV is now ours!  Rejoice.

I’ll post the unboxing video soon with my initial review with bugs and bouquets alike.

Tags:

11 Responses to “OUYA!!”

1. Puzzlem00n says:

Fantastic! I really want to see a video like that.

2. Osgeld says:

“How exciting!”

not really, its overpriced and obsolete

3. Smaxx says:

Just the dev consoles. The retail one will be cheaper (i.e. 100 $), which isn’t overpriced at all. Although I don’t really like the transparent look to be honest. Hope the retail ones will have the brushed metal look (or at least classic plastic).

4. shatterhand says:

Please, share all your impressions about the Ouya.I’ve bought myself one unit (not a developer one though, I didn’t have enough money at that time), and I am really looking forward for it.

5. Suese says:

The retail ones are going to have a much different look. This is the limited first run of developer consoles it even reads “OUYA Devs” on it.

Hardware/Software first impression: I was impressed. I didn’t expect to see software on it at all yet there’s an entire operating system and user interface ready to go.

Gamepad first impression: It needs a slight bit of tweaking which it will certainly be getting before consumer release.

Unity: I’m not a fan of big bulky memory hogging environments, but the Unity is OUYA compatible out-of-the-box apparently. Lots of devs will be very happy to hear this.

Eclipse + Java: I hate with a passion. I’ve never been a fan of Eclipse or Java, in my mind they are slow clunky memory sucking pieces of garbage that force their dumb-ass philosophy and conventions on you. I expressed my opinion on the official dev forums and got flamed to no end, being told “I wasn’t good enough to write an Android game” even though I provided proof that Java was 100 to 1000 times slower and took up 10 to 100 times more memory. The official Android API is.. so convoluted and so impractical, there are literally thousands of places where either the classes and method arguments are poorly documented or not documented at all. In almost every example they provide over 10 lines of boiler-plate, backwards compatibility code it’s laborious to extract the good information from the crap. Even the official Open GL ES 2.0 tutorials are wrong and do not work. I could rant and rave about how much Java + Eclipse suck for hours, I really could.

• savethejets1 says:

Eclipse sucks, I would recommend IntelliJ for android dev if you’re using java :D

There’s a free community edition for android devs.

• kibertoad says:

“even though I provided proof that Java was 100 to 1000 times slower” -> than what? Could you please link or at least mention “the proof”? Can’t argue the increased memory footprint (relatively to natively compiled C), but performance wasn’t a Java issue for a long time already – spikes in performance (due to GC) are, but they are nothing too terrible. Also Eclipse is horrible, but != Java, there are excellent IDE’s out there, such as Intellij and NetBeans.

• sorceress says:

I remember in the 486 era how absurdly slow web based Java was compared with native apps. And it was easier to compare performance in those days because computation times were more easily measurable. I expect this taints some people’s perceptions of Java, even if modern incarnations have much better performance.

Modern hardware runs hundreds of times faster than in the 486 era. And we should not forget that poor software performance can be obscured by hardware improvements.

More recent experiences: In about 2008 I tried some Java games on my 1600MHz Pentium machine, and I found the frame-rates to be too low to be playable (1fps), even though the games didn’t seem that complex. I’m sure they could have achieved a decent framerate on that hardware if they were (even not hardware accelerated) native apps.

So I would say that Java runs disproportionately slower on older hardware, whereas native apps run proportionately slower.

New Computer Old Computer Older Computer
        Some Native App 60fps 30fps 10fps
        Some Java App 60fps 5fps under 1fps
      • Suese says:

I think those benchmarks Java proponents keep mentioning are faked because I just used the psuedo-code:

float i;
        float x;
        for ( i = 0; i < 1; i += 0.0001 ){
        x = sin(i)
        }

What took Java almost 10 seconds to perform was instant in C. I guess I just don't believe everything I read on the internet. When thousands of talentless wild-eyed code-monkeys' jobs, sense of importance and grip on office politics are highly dependant on such a sorry excuse for a technology, I figure it's best to produce the results myself instead of relying on faked benchmarks and a massive load of petty propaganda.

• Osgeld says:

yea well .. yea Java is not some interpeter for a specific machine, it IS a virtual machine with an interpeter on top of that, its going to be slow as snot compared to native software

will that matter? totally depends on what your doing, pong on a 4Ghz quad core, probably not, viewtiful joe on OUYA, yea there is going to be a easily measureable difference

6. Suese says:

Update: I got Adobe AIR working. W00000t, now I can port all my web games over with relative ease!