Dungeon Mastermind – Postmortem

Posted by (twitter: @7SoulDesign)
December 22nd, 2012 12:37 pm
banner01

Click to go to the game page

screen06

 What went right

» Tools: I was familiar with all tools I was using

» Art: I’m addicted to working with the NES style graphics, so this was no problem. From the sprites to the font and title screen, it was all fun to work on.

» Sound is my weak point. Luckily a day before someone suggested me a website with free music, and there I got all music I needed. I also used sounds from freesound.or instead of the usual bfxr

What went wrong

» Time: Couldn’t join the compo because I wasn’t going to be home on sunday, but this is hardly a problem, as I still had 2 whole days to work.

» Planning: I didn’t plan the game properly. I never got to that point where you say “ok, the game is about this“. It was all over the place, and because of that near the end I had to spend a great deal of time just to figure out if the concept actually worked.

» Had to cut many features off, like a more in-depth interface with more helpful information, and a loot system that was supposed to add more depth to the game.

banner02

And then

After submitting the game, I added a statistics system to it, and submitted it to Kongregate. It’s pretty fun to see how many people are playing it.

Not my best game by far, but this is what Ludum Dare is all about: learning. Next time I will plan things better and actually have a fixed idea of what the game will be.

Tags: , ,


One Response to “Dungeon Mastermind – Postmortem”

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]