MidBoss: born from impulsiveness

Posted by (twitter: @enichan)
December 17th, 2012 10:56 pm

(post compo development of this game can be found here)

I made it!

MidBoss

MidBoss, the roguelike with a theme of possession of defeated enemies is a reality!

So the fact that I managed to complete a game on my own for the jam is pretty funny, when you think about it. After participating in the last dare with less than stellarly fun gameplay results, I figured I wouldn’t be able to participate this time due to being on study exchange in Japan and being super busy. In fact I forgot about Ludum Dare until by chance someone asked me if I was entering, last friday. I had nothing better to do, so I figured I might as well.

Then, I promptly decided to spend my entire sunday eating sushi and doing karaoke with friends. Woops! I was about ready to throw in the towel at that point. Unfortunately this game’s theme kept nagging at me, as well as the progress I’d made. I decided to take some time off from school and go all out on Monday to participate in the jam, and somehow, I made it! Not only that, people are actually telling me that MidBoss is pretty fun, and they want me to do a more polished version. I’m… honestly pretty shocked, since I was winging it since the very beginning.

After some insistence by a friend I’m going to try and polish this up for a post-compo version. Maybe try and make a little money off of it. If anyone has any advice for that type of thing, I’d really welcome it. I’m not used to working with the kind of sloppy code an LD can produce, but I also think refactoring most of it might as well mean I’d start over.

What went right?

I didn’t have any preconceived notions about what I was going to do, I went into it as a blank slate just looking to have some fun and maybe make a fun little game. I think not having expectations made it easier to just go with the flow and wind up with a better idea and a more fun game than last time. My code also stayed relatively clean until pulling an all-nighter started getting to me. Going out on Sunday while kind of silly did help me get out of the crunchy mindset, and so I could attack the project with renewed vigor the following day.

What went wrong?

As a consequence of being unprepared I didn’t have anything set up. A split-second decision lead me to go with Python over Xna because it’s more accessible, but I didn’t so much as have Pygame or an IDE installed. Installing Eclipse and Pydev took at least a half hour too long. Meanwhile I had to do pixel art in photoshop, which is something I positively loathe, because my regular editor wasn’t installed. I also took waaaayyy too long getting the automatic wall graphics to be correct, there’s still errors and I don’t think anyone’s even noticed them. I could’ve spent that time more productively, maybe.

Conclusion

This LD turned out with a better game, and was more fun than the one that came before it. And I’m pleasantly surprised that I made a complete game at all, so I consider this one a success.

Tags: , , , ,


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]