Ludum Dare 31
December 5th-8th, 2014

Zombie Tales & OctoberLD not completed :(

Posted by (twitter: @dougalicious)
October 30th, 2012 7:33 pm

Firstly I just want to say THANKS to the whole Ludum Dare community! This was my first challenge and it has been an amazing experience. Thanks for all your support and advice it has been invaluable. And congrats to everyone that completed the challenge its an amazing feat!!

Zombie Tales isn’t complete, but I’m still aiming for a $0.99 Alpha release before Christmas. And I’ll still be bloggind my progress (not necessairly daily) at www.zombietales.net but in the meantime here is a mini breakdown of my Ludum Dare.

1st October – This was after the first day of coding and I could shoot some white boxes.

7th October – BloodHUD. I had pretty much sorted my weapon control and got my Zombies hurting me during that week.

15th October – Spent the whole week porting across the level editor and getting the HUD working on an iPhone.

21st October – I got annoyed with fixing up the level editor so I spent some time on the main menu. It made a huge difference to the feel of the game.

29th October – After the realisation that I wasn’t going to complete Oct Ludum Dare. I worked on some fun stuff in the editor like adding vehicles.

I’m a little depressed because I didn’t complete the challenge, but I’m glad I got a chance to take a big chunk (about 50%) out of a project that I was going to start work on next year. And meet all the Ludum Dare participants – its been awesome!!!

As for future Ludum Dares?? At the moment my brain is pretty fried but I’ll definitely be throwing my hat in the ring again!!  Just not straight away  :)

And finally this is my favourite screenshot of the 50+ that I took during Ludum Dare

cheers DOUG

8 Responses to “Zombie Tales & OctoberLD not completed :(”

1. eyehawk says:

That’s a shame dude, your game is looking pretty awesome! Anyway good luck, keep us all posted about how you go and when the game is up on the app store :D

2. Dir3kt says:

Wow you did an amazing job, both in quality and quantity. Hopefuly you will keep working on this project because I think it has a lot of potential. There aren’t that many iOS games that come with a level editor!

Have you already though about the social integration of the editor, how players can share levels, rate them? There could even be a level leaderboard, that would be so cool! Looks like this would create an healthy loop where players create better and better levels thus playing the game becomes more and more interesting. Updates can add new elements that players can in turn use in the editor.

3. Codexus says:

It looks like you managed to get some really good progress done!

4. michax says:

Shitload of work :) And looks neat!

5. savethejets1 says:

Don’t be depressed, zombie tales looks like it’s gonna be sweet. Hope you finish it! :D

6. dougalicious says:

Thanks everyone!! But I’d have to admit it’s great to have a break!! :)

I’m definitely going to finish it, my family would kill me if I didn’t.. :)

7. This is looking nice! You definitely put in work! Don’t feel bad about it. its inspiring to see how much progress you can make in one month. Awesome job can’t wait to see more.

8. Jigxor says:

Wow that last screenshot looks amazing! I hope you finish this! I’d definitely pay for it.