About | Rules and Guide | Sign In/Create Account | Write a Post
Construction1990’s Internet Montage? No!
Please excuse the site weirdness. Mike is fixing and making things.
Ludum Dare 31 — Coming December 5th-8th 2014!

  • ??? Begins: in 10 days, 6 hours, 0 minutes, 29 seconds
  • October Ends: in 11 days, 6 hours, 12 minutes, 29 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 31 begins: in 46 days, 7 hours, 0 minutes, 29 seconds
  • (FYI: Clock might be off) | Ludum Dare 31: Real World Gatherings (Now Open!)

    [ October Challenge 2014 | Resources | Submit/Edit | View All ]


    October Challenge Update II: Electric Boogaloo

    Posted by
    October 12th, 2012 5:56 pm

    The old world will burn in the fires of industry. Forests will fall. A new order will rise. We will drive the machine of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the orc. – Saruman, The Lord of The Rings

    That’s right, progress is being made on the newly-named Turing. After a brief attempt at using CL-OPENGL that led to inexplicable heap corruption, I switched back to full SDL. I decided that for ease of development I was just going to be lazy and blit everything to a buffer, and then draw a region of that buffer in order to implement scrolling. Unfortunately, Lispbuilder-SDL doesn’t have support for that like PyGame does. I don’t really see why not: It’s part of the native C SDL. Anyway, after messing with (sdl:cell)’s for a while, I wondered what would happen if I just tried drawing the buffer to a negative index, and lo and behold, it worked. Yay! Ten hours of debugging OpenGL code down the drain, but yay. Screenshot:

    Will take a picture of my workspace soon, but software-wise, see if you can guess from the screenshot. All my fellow Lispers saying I need to use Emacs, bah. Old habits never die. Vim is better anyway.

    tl;dr: Things got done.

    Leave a Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.


    All posts, images, and comments are owned by their creators.

    [cache: storing page]