So, I’m in! I just wanted to make sure I can accomplish this crazy idea of mine.
Since I’m not going to make a game, I’m going to create an enjoyable multiplayer experience, without goals. It’s an IRC client for #ludumdare.
The image you see above is the first screenshot taken on the #ludumdare chatroom. Those are all real people who were at the chatroom at that time. And that’s me saying something just to take a screenshot.
Some features this “client” (will) have:
- Server-less. I don’t use an external server to store anything, all the information comes directly from the IRC server. And maybe I will use some information from the ludumdare.com page itself (a blink-blink if you got 100% coolness in the last compo… How is that not cool?)
- Unique characters. The character is selected according to your nickname, so if you log in today or tomorrow, you will have the same character (as long as you use the same nickname).
- IRC interface. Yeah, you will be able to actually log in with your username and chat.
- Quick Commands. Simply click on an avatar, and from the menu choose /kick, /msg, etc.
- Move around. When logged in, you will be able to move around your avatar. The others will stay in place. This will not be a concurrent multiplayer application.
- Art. I will use the noncommercial assets from Oryx (I think that’s ok with the rules), and make some background art for the game, but since I’m not an artist, artists are welcome to help me in this part.
That’s all I have in mind for the MiniLD. I’m using my framework, which you can get here, but as with most amateurs frameworks, it is not complete / documented / and is subject to change in the short term. Use at your own risk.
If you have an idea/suggestion, please leave a comment below!