[EDIT] It’s over! Thanks to all participants for these amazing entries! [/EDIT]
This time Hogwarts’ Sorting Hat chose ME to do the hosting for the next Mini Ludum Dare, and out of all the bad ideas I had for the theme, I carefully chose the worst; so now I can present …
Yep, that’s right. For this Mini Ludum Dare, the goal is to not make a game (or more specific: to make a not-game). After 60 Ludum Dares (including Minis) and two October Challenges, making “yet another game” really becomes very tiresome. So for a few days, let’s ditch entertainment software! Their rigid mechanics usually just stand in the way of something new, something truly innovative anyway. Let’s explore the vast world of serious games, simulators, art games and not-games!
Create something personal, something only YOU can make. Had any traumatic experiences or other awkward episodes in your life? Now is the time to make cheerful not-games out of them! Had a boring day at work? Let others take part in your depressing job in an exciting simulator! You want to educate people about collecting stamps or rare types of eye diseases? Share your wisdom with everyone by creating a serious game!
Some examples: Dinner Date, everything from Tale of Tales, Window Cleaner. There even was a festival about not-games!
Submit | View all entries
I completely understand your sentiments if this is not a theme to your liking. That’s why I want to offer an alternative theme, just to make this Mini Ludum Dare even more complicated than it already is! Thus, once again I draw the curtain and present …
Make a game that offers a new experience based on … time! And with time I mean the real real-time, not that fake ingame-time. Depending on the current time of the day (like night&day or specific hours) or even depending on the date (the day of the month or even the current season), your entry should change its appearance and/or its gameplay. Here are some random ideas, to make clear what this is about:
- Some enemies are impossible to beat at night, but very easy at day
- The game is a stealth game at night and a shooter at day
- Savegames get deleted after some days, because the protagonist dies of hunger when the user doesn’t play the game
- The end part of the game is only accessible at full moon
Perhaps you want to go the hardcore way and combine this with location-based game design? You could get the local weather from an online service and use it in the game! Or go totally crazy and make a multiplayer game that changes its gameplay according the number of players! Oh, the possibilities!
RULES FOR BOTH THEMES
- You don’t have to do both themes, just pick one. Of course, doing two games (submit them both in one entry) or combining the themes is possible!
- Teams are allowed, as is using frameworks.
- Please state in the description when your game re-uses assets.
- The official date of this competition is 22nd/23th September (beginning and ending at 0:00, your timezone), but the submission form will be open until the beginning of the October Fest, erm, Challenge, so please take your time and just have fun making stuff!
- If you don’t like any restrictions this MiniLD imposes to you, feel free to ditch them.