About | Rules and Guide | Sign In/Create Account | Write a Post
Construction1990’s Internet Montage? No!
Please excuse the site weirdness. Mike is fixing and making things.
Ludum Dare 31 — Coming December 5th-8th 2014!

• ??? Begins: in 10 days, 2 hours, 39 minutes, 48 seconds
  • October Ends: in 11 days, 2 hours, 51 minutes, 48 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 31 begins: in 46 days, 3 hours, 39 minutes, 48 seconds
  • (FYI: Clock might be off) | Ludum Dare 31: Real World Gatherings (Now Open!)

[ October Challenge 2014 | Resources | Submit/Edit | View All ]

Coolness and Judging People’s Entries for LD24

Posted by (twitter: @RobProductions)
    September 4th, 2012 6:14 pm

This time around I saw a lot of good games with a lot of great art styles! Unfortunately I didn’t see much use of distinct music in a lot of games, but they were still nice.

Some things I noticed were:

ABSOLUTELY NO FIRST PERSON UNITY GAMES HAD A PAUSE SCREEN EXCEPT FOR MINE!!!

(with the exception of Accidental Rebel’s Complexivity )

I ALWAYS have a pause screen in my games and for some that I played, it wasn’t even possible to quit without Force Quiting the App.

Please people think about BASICS in a first person game.

However most people nailed the graphics style, and that was nice.

Anyways thats me rambling, play my game HERE and happy gaming! <3

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “Coolness and Judging People’s Entries for LD24”

1. mohammad says:

umm check my game?

2. laaph says:

As someone who is not wholly confident that I will finish the game in the weekend, fancy features like “pause” get last priority and probably won’t be completed (nor attempted) until after the compo. Or in this example, where I pretty much have ignored everything I planned to do after the compo, completely ignored.

Sorry :( but if my game were cooler I would revisit it and add “pause” and maybe a title screen and replace Unity’s standard dialogs and a long list of other fancy features.

Cheers!

3. sorceress says:

Mine pauses while the window is minimized… at least I think that’s what I did. :/

And my close button safely terminates everything, so it isn’t like a force quit. :)

And I wrote my own tracker music.

4. Puzzlem00n says:

I don’t really think pausing is necessary myself… It’s helpful, but not a staple.

5. No it’s necessary! (If its a first person game)

How else are you supposed to unlock the cursor? Change the settings for laggier computers?

I don’t know… but literally in every company first/third person game that locks the cursor has a pause menu!

6. Jedi says:

“ABSOLUTELY NO FIRST PERSON UNITY GAMES HAD A PAUSE SCREEN EXCEPT FOR MINE!!!”

Probably because Unity apps pause by default whenever the window loses focus. For the web player, by default, esc will release the mouse if it’s been captured, then you can click something else.

For a Windows build, you can use Alt-Esc.