About | Rules and Guide | Sign In/Create Account | Write a Post
Construction1990’s Internet Montage? No!
Please excuse the site weirdness. Mike is fixing and making things.
Ludum Dare 31 — Coming December 5th-8th 2014!

  • ??? Begins: in 8 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes, 47 seconds
  • October Ends: in 9 days, 8 hours, 46 minutes, 47 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 31 begins: in 44 days, 9 hours, 34 minutes, 47 seconds
  • (FYI: Clock might be off) | Ludum Dare 31: Real World Gatherings (Now Open!)

    [ October Challenge 2014 | Resources | Submit/Edit | View All ]

    [post-mortem] Evolvin Gen

    Posted by (twitter: @drabiter)
    September 3rd, 2012 7:00 am

    So here is my first port-mortem, covering an entry that I made for Ludum Dare 24 compo “Evolution”. The entry is not other but Evolvin Gen. If you don’t know, Evolvin Gen is a simple puzzle game where blah blah blah..

    What went right:

    • Idea. I found a way to created game that matched both theme and skill.
    • Library. New version of LibGdx works like charm. Adding effects is relative easy and its project setup mechanism is like something that created by 2.5m tall wizard with long red beard, using his staff that made from heart of dragon. It’s great man!
    • Sleep. The game itself was not really hard to build. With that fact I could get enough sleep, longer than previous LD.

    What went wrong:

    • Idea. What? but you said it went right! Yeah I figured out gameplay that matched the theme, but it’s not the first. Third! I changed my gameplay so many times. The first one was something-devour-another. Too mainstream. The second one was narrative game (kinda like VN) that telling about evolution. My english is too poor. So, here I am.
    • Graphics. In the end of game, I should provided a sprite for each result. My first attempt was drawing a guy with tentacles and bald grandma. However the time was tight so I just made them as text-only.
    • Bug. If you score 100% which is quite hard to obtain at least for me, my game will show you a beautiful exception. I can’t regenerate it yet, but I want and willling to fix.
    • Layout. Someone said that they can’t figure out how to play. Well, it’s by clicking the text. They’re button, functional receiving input. But the lack of “clickable-feel” made it… be unnoticed. Lesson obtained!
    • GWT. If my GWT base worked well, a HTML5 version would be available.

    What’s next:

    Dig libgdx more, fix the bug if I can, and setup my GWT asap. Have fun and wait for next LD.

    Leave a Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    All posts, images, and comments are owned by their creators.

    [cache: storing page]