Hello everyone Gabe here, it was really fun and everyone was so nice. I am so glad that I actually submitted something, its really only my second actual game I’ve ever made. During LD22 I really wanted to make a game and even made an I’m in post, things didnt go well from the begining and I decided to forfiet and watch notch’s livestream the rest of the time. This severely reduced my confidence of finishing this one.
How I came up with the idea (As mentioned in the comments on my submission) :
“A couple things that influenced me in the story part were, ‘The Last Book in the Universe’ by Rod Philbrick and the movie ‘In Time’ (2011) starring Justin Timberlake, Olivia Wilde and Amanda Seyfried. I would highly suggest those.
In the book, the world is separated into two groups of people, the commoners and the proovs which are genetically engineered to be better, think super-natural selection. That gave me the idea of evolving to be wealthy.
In the movie, everyone is engineered so that once they turn 25, their ‘clock’ turns on and they have one year of time. When your clock hits zero, you die. Everything is based on time, its the new currency: “the more wealthy, the longer you live.” That idea is the reason you need to hurry (or else). Also in the movie, inorder to cross ‘time zones’ you had to pay a toll, which was a way to keep the social classes separate, so the rich, who were also the oldest, lived on one side of the country and poor on the other. And that is the reason, you need money to get closer to your parents and the people who could help you find them. ”
Things that went right:
- I finished the game in time
- It runs well on the systems I’ve tested
- I learned a whole bunch about packaging, jars, and jnlp’s
- Story sounded okay
- Lots of positive feedback
- Music ended up working (thanks greasemonkey)
- Didnt have to worry about Math this time (although as a CS/Math major I should probably be better at math)
Things that went wrong or I would do differently:
- My story didnt really work with the theme
- AI is horrible
- Collision Math is just for walls (it shouldve been for the other balls too, so that everyone was pushing off each other and space would push people away from you. This changed the entire story and gameplay)
- It takes a while to get used to the invisibility, and so in the beginning you just mash buttons until you can just make out the character
- Graphics were not the best, just colored circles and handmade text
- no splash screen