Ludum Dare 31
Theme:
Entire Game on One Screen

Judging ends in:
It’s time to Play and Rate Games!

PlayRate80Star

OUYA kicks $8,596,475

Posted by
August 9th, 2012 12:09 am

A new indy-friendly game console has been fully funded by over 8 times the original goal setting the stage for a new major industry upset to enter the TV console gaming market. Get excited my friends because YOU could be developing games for the TV in as little as 8 months!

OUYA Video game console.

OUYA Video game console will be released in March 2013.

This Suese will be heading to L.A. for the Launch Party (in March tba?) as a game developer to promote my own games.

I am looking for some fellow game hackers who might want to join my team and make some smash retro-active titles to be marketed on the OUYA at launch.

Our games will have an honoured ‘Founder’ emblem in the market place, so this truly is an exciting opportunity to be a part of console gaming history.

6 Responses to “OUYA kicks $8,596,475”

1. ratking says:

I will never believe that “8 months” is realistic. Statistics even say, they higher funded a project is, the more it will overdraw its self-imposed deadline.

• sorceress says:

On average.

I guess it depends how much time they want to spend perfecting the design, which in turn depends on how much they care about getting it right.

Corporations (established brands) have more to lose than independent startups funded by donations. So it’s understandable if a corporation chose to overrun a deadline than ship something that wasn’t adequately tested / perfected.

2. JaydenB says:

If you are searching for people to work with on any awesome pixel/retro games (my favourite), I would like to help! I have been trying to get more serious into game development, and Ludum Dare has helped me very much. Personally I don’t know many languages.
    I call myself a pro with Lua (it’s very good for prototyping fast concepts with love2d) and have some experience in Python while I try to teach myself Java and make my first (hopefully) commercial game.
    I create videos over at AtomicMonkeyPro (on YouTube) where you can find various 3d animations and live-action special effects I have done.
    My skills are largely scripting in the mentioned languages above and Blender 3D, which I have been using for over 4 years, with some experience in creating pixel art (I’m trying to get my experience with this on my own project, especially animation of the pixels).
    I think I have been writing this for too long so please contact me if you want to, and I would love to collaborate with you any time :)

3. sorceress says:

If you’re going to be a “Founder” and make one of those first few games for the console, then it might be worth creating something that really stands out.

Exceptional quality is one way, but it’s a hard target to hit without AAA budgets. It might be worth taking a different route to standing out:
    – high replayability;
    – a good multiplayer experience;
    – a unique style, that’s instantly recognisable;
    – enough depth and subtlety that it’ll take a lifetime to master.

4. Puzzlem00n says:

I agree with Sorceress’s advice. Make something amazing! From your past games, you seem to have a pretty good style going. Not too arcadish, more strategy, that’s pretty recognizable.

I’m a fan of the Ouya project, and I really think it has amazing potential. I’d offer to work with you, but there are a few problems:
    -I’m fourteen.
    -I’m on the other side of the country.
    -I’ve never coded for Android.

So yeah. I’m a big fan of your stuff, though. You may or may not remember me (I don’t at all blame you if you don’t), but my friend Wonckay and I played you in Command War and reported bugs. I tried to play you again the next day, but the chat glitched up, and you didn’t seem to be reacting to what I was saying, so I didn’t think it was worth playing under that circumstance. You probably thought I’d abandoned you, though, so just clearing that up.

Anyway, now that that little detour is over, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor!

5. McFunkypants says:

I’m an android dev capable of above average 3d/2d games who is considering joining a team of like-minded OUYA developers. I warmly encourage you to get in touch:

or
    breakdance at mcfunkypants dot com

Here’s one example of something I made, running on android: