Starting to add more and more functionality to my voxel engine and it is starting the slow evolution into a game, with fun elements. I’m still aiming for daily videos showing progress and hopefully each one showing a new feature or something cool.
My guide/tutorial site is taking shape, but I am still coding lots and lots and finding it hard to put a massive amount of time into writing articles. More will come with time though…
I have some questions for the community and gamers.
- What sort of creating tools would you like to see in a voxel sandbox game?
- Do you think it would be good to offer a library of common objects that the player can import/export to re-use as they are creating?
- What parts of a game would you like to customize (and share with others)? Your character model, weapons, items, NPCs, quests, particle effects, world regions?
Also anyone who has played Minecraft (or other sandbox games) can probably help me by answering a couple of questions below:
- During the creative parts of the game, i.e crafting, building, customizing… do you prefer to still be emersed in the game while in this mode or do you prefer a more abstract tool/interface? For example when crafting or building in minecraft you still have to walk around as the player, rather than having a fly around ‘god-mode’ when you can craft/build with a mouse pointer.
- Is there anything frustrating about collaborative creating, Do you wish you had more control over allowing others to modify what you create, tools for information exchange?
- How much do you think a sandbox game should be released with actual story content? i.e should the game already have a main quest, completion goal, or just be totally open?