Ludum Dare 31
December 5th-8th, 2014

October Challenge 2014
Ending Soon!

ConstructionPlease excuse the site weirdness. Mike is making and fixing things. Clocks are probably wrong. Colors are place-holder.

What is Ludum Dare?
Rules / Guide

Interest in bi-weekly game jams?

Posted by (twitter: @thedayturns)
May 14th, 2012 2:55 pm

The Ludum Dare is awesome. But rated jams come every 4 months. That’s a long time!

My favorite part about Ludum Dare is getting the ratings – so I know what I did well in, and what I can improve.

My friend and I are thinking about building a website to host more frequent, but lower-key, rated gamejams. It’d have a focus on learning how to improve (I’ve noticed people saying how the comments they got on their games didn’t help them understand out how to get better). Would you be interested in this?

Do you have any other suggestions for cool things you might be interested in?

If this is something that interests you, leave a comment so we can get back to you when we have a decent prototype :)

11 Responses to “Interest in bi-weekly game jams?”

1. Raptor85 says:

if set up correctly could be interesting, feel free to twitter @raptor851 if you move further with this.

2. jeffz says:

Check out http://compohub.net for a list of upcoming jams, some are longer and shorter in duration than LD but also feature different aspects.

bi-weekly game jams do sound good though!

3. Rabbits... says:

In my opinion what would be better is if people could post what projects they were working on and other people could play them and see how they could improve…Just my idea…I think it would be cool to get feedback from other programmers…

4. digital_sorceress says:

While it’s nice that there’d always be a jam ‘just around the corner’, I fear there wouldn’t be many people taking part in something so frequent. Say if the average person can only find the time for four jams per year, then ….

50 people, when there are 6 jams taking place per year => 33 people per jam
    50 people, when there are 26 jams taking place per year => 7 people per jam

Also, being so frequent it might not feel very special to take part in. You might find more success running an event staggered with LD – in February, June, and October. :)

• johnfn says:

I’ve actually had both of these thoughts :)

I’m not *too* concerned with low turnout. I’d say that a 10 person jam would be a success. (crazy, right, when thinking about LD?) I know that the idea of a biweekly jam is kind of intimidating, and I’m trying to think of ways that I could make it less so. I think if a participant could only make a jam every 2 months, that would be enough.

I really like the idea of staggering them, too. This is another idea I’ve been fiddling with. Maybe we could have big jams on the staggered dates you suggest.

Thanks for the feedback!

5. MadGnomeGamer says:

I think the current frequency is perfect! A big huge deal LD every 3 months, a mini_LD every month, and the occasional challenge.

Bi-weekly jams would kind of dilute the experience, in my opinion. Would you rather have half a cookie a day for 4 days, or eat 2 cookies all at once?

If I crave a jam and there’s not an LD when I want one, then I’ll look for one of the many other game jams available. (Or stop procastinating and work on my current project. :)P) But if your bi-weekly jam site is one of those, then I’d participate in it when I craved a jam.

• MadGnomeGamer says:

Ooops didn’t finish that post.

I do kinda like participating in a small jam-I think I’m much more likely to win a game jam with <100 people in it.-that's why I like the mini-LD's! It's not as much of an acheivement to get 1st when only 20 other people are participating (or 5th when 50 are participating, as I did in my first mini-LD) as to get a similar placing with 1000+games….but it still makes you feel good!

Besides, winning a game jam is a good resume item if you're looking for work in the games industry.

6. Cell says:

MiniLD’s, no need for more jams.

7. efripley says:

I have a similar idea which the details are stated in my blog: