Ludum Dare 31
December 5th-8th, 2014

October Challenge 2014
Ending Soon!

ConstructionPlease excuse the site weirdness. Mike is making and fixing things. Clocks are probably wrong. Colors are place-holder.

What is Ludum Dare?
Rules / Guide

Ludum Dare 23 Results!

Posted by (twitter: @ludumdare)
May 13th, 2012 6:11 pm

Well it looks like our 10 year anniversary event is over. I am soooo full of cake! Here are the results:

How did I do?

You can view your results here:

My Results: ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=me

The individual category results are just above your comments.

Top 50 Games

Check out winning competition and jam games here:

Compo Top 50: ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=top
Jam Top 50: ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=top&cat=Overall(Jam)

Winners are decided by the Overall category.

Congratulations to all the winners.

Categorical Top 25s

Here at Ludum Dare, being the best game isn’t the only way to win. Games are rated in 7 additional categories, with a special “Coolness” category highlighting people that went above and beyond to be sure you got a vote.

Categorical Top 25s: ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?more=1

(And for the press, a shorter Top 5’s is available here)

*NOTE*: You can click on the titles of the categories for Top 50 style lists per category.

Ludum Dare 24 – August 2012

You had a good time right? Great! We’re doing it again in August! We don’t have a specific date chosen yet, but here’s some facts:

• We will avoid scheduling it the same weekend as PAX and Assembly
  • Mike likes to schedule things later in the month
  • 24 is an interesting number… VERY interesting, and I don’t mean that it’s a Friday ;)

Stay tuned for that. Follow us on Twitter or join the mailing list to stay informed.

May Mini LD, hosted by The Sophie Houlden

August not soon enough?

Tune in this weekend for a brand new Mini LD event hosted by Sophie Houlden. Unfamiliar with Mini LDs? It’s like a regular LD without the weeks of voting (and waiting).

Suggestions

If you have any suggestions for us (website, observations, etc), we continue to collect them in the comments here:

Thanks everyone for coming out and making Ludum Dare 23, our 10 year anniversary, an INCREDIBLE success! We hope to see you again in August!

– Mike Kasprzak (PoV)

49 Responses to “Ludum Dare 23 Results!”

1. Jigxor says:

Congratulations to all of the winners, and thank you for Ludum Dare #23! I had a lot of fun and it’s great to see so many games finished. Mine came 26th! Woo! Happy 10 years!

2. wademcgillis says:

Premade graphics mean a Jam entry, correct?

3. SonnyBone says:

This theme gave us some REALLY awesome games! Thanks for hosting the best damn game jam event around! Congrats to the winners! Good to see Crackerblocks take away the humor gold! Now I can’t wait to dive into these top 25 lists and play the games that I missed before. I managed to rate 76 games but HOLY CRAP I weep at the gems that I missed along the way.

And WOW… over a thousand games and I get first in Audio? Thanks to everyone that played and rated! This feels amazing!

Everyone that finished a game should be proud of what they accomplished. Even if you didn’t finish your game, you TRIED. Get out there and bust your ass that much harder next time, and become a better designer/artist/programmer/etc in the process.

LONG LIVE LUDUM DARE!

• dr_soda says:

You seriously deserved it. That narrator was simply inspired.

• SonnyBone says:

Thank you, good doctor!

• caranha says:

Not only the narrator was funny, but I really liked how you weaved the narration into the gameplay. The “and then he fell out of the sky… wait, that is not how I remember it, let’s try it again” when you died in the game was worth one entire star by itself!

• SonnyBone says:

Yeah, that line was actually thrown in as a joke and I wasn’t even going to keep it in there, but I ran out of time and that’s why the game has no respawns… ugh. I pretty much stole all of that from Bastion… which I even mention in the credits of the game… so I don’t really deserve a ton of credit for the IDEA of the narration.

4. [...] See all results. Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

5. Shadow says:

I hope everyone had as much fun as we did!
    Congratulations to everyone who participated, and those who don’t; I hope to see you in next LD!!

The whole experience is worth “sacrificing” a weekend (it’s not like you had better plans anyway).

I’m proud of what we achieved this time around, but specially loved all the feedback we got. We will use it to improve our game and release it!

So I second this:

LONG LIVE LUDUM DARE!

6. PoV says:

Phew! Now everybody is free to play Diablo 3 on Tuesday. :D

(myself included)

7. Grats to everyone, no matter how they ‘officially’ did. There was so much awesome!

One gripe: I think it’s sad that some of the competition “winners” still haven’t released their source. :(

• NeiloGD says:

If they haven’t release their source then they are breaking the rules, and thus should not be winners – even if the games themselves are deserving.

• dr_soda says:

Indeed, I am curious how that’s going to be handled. If there aren’t any steps taken in response to things like this it could definitely wear away community support.

• Orni says:

I too think everybody in the Top 10 per category or so – who broke a rule – should simply be disqualified.
        it’s very annoying to see games that didn’t provide source or even used resources made by others (in compo) scoring higher than ones own entry

• wibblymat says:

I’m looking at http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?uid=505 which was first in Humor for the compo. I can’t play it as I’m not on Windows, but those screenshots appear to be pre-made images he’s just grabbed off Google. Isn’t that very specifically against the rules?

It’s great that lots of people are making games for these things – and lets remember, that is what LD is really about – but I’m not sure you can really call it a competition any more, because competitions have rules.

• Raptor85 says:

Agreed, there were actually a LOT of rule-breaking entries this LD, and there’s a few in the top 50 list. We need a button on the voting page so that we can still give a rating but flag something as “should be moved to jam”.

I know a lot of people answer to this “the ratings don’t matter” or “who cares, there’s no prizes” but if the ratings aren’t done properly there’s no point in having it…..i mean, it’s like a game of UT or quake, ranking in game doesn’t matter and there’s no prizes but it definitely still makes it less fun for everyone when there’s an aimbot on the server :/

Getting better though, a lot of the games in the top 50 definitely deserved it, while it could still use a lot of work (we had a good discussion about how to properly average in a system like this where not all games get the same number of ratings) the new system of “encouraging” ratings did help make the scores a bit more sane than they were in LD22, though the scores for games that had really high numbers of ratings and really low numbers of ratings are still incredibly skewed (games with no audio scoring higher in audio than games with decent music and SFX…and such.)

• caranha says:

“Report game” button is a nice idea, but it might be a burden on the admins.

While I usually say “ratings don’t matter” – I usually think this applies more to the lower end of the rating spectrum. I agree that games breaking the rules shouldn’t be featured in the “Top X” lists.

• Make A Game says:

Totally agree. I get all the “no award” and all the LD spirit and I enjoyed a few games that did not follow “tiny world” as a theme but it’s still frustrating for the people who did and “held” their creativity to it. There should be a flag on the voting screens.

• Make A Game says:

*The previous butthurt does not represent the views of the team.

There is nothing frustrating about being given a theme and building a game from it.

If the Theme score should or shouldn’t have a heavier weight over the rest of the scores, it’s up to the Ludum Dare organizers.

Now excuse us while we go play some more games!

• PoV says:

After filtering through the reports, we were made aware of just one, and it has been resolved. Some people include source with their binaries. In some tools, source is a file with an unusual file extension. The Jam has no source requirements.

• Raptor85 says:

Wasn’t talking about just the top 50, during the course of the compo there were quite a few pointed out in the 48 hour compo that used ripped sprite sheets, unlicenced sound from other websites, and engines/libraries that are not publicly available and should have been moved to the jam.

• Codexus says:

This has happened before and nothing was done about it. :/

• PoV says:

From what we’ve seen, there’s only one winner who neglected his source, but there is ample evidence he did create his game in the 48 hours (a timelapse). Because so many of you are concerned, I’ve sent him a note, and we’ll get it sorted. Ludum Dare is about celebrating the success of creating games in a short period of time, and the voting is about finding some of the best creations in (now) thousands. Our goal is to do what’s best for the community. Stripping someone of their win because of this technicality wouldn’t be in the best interest of the community.

Jam games do not require source.

• Cosmologicon says:

First of all, thank you very much for all your hard work!

As for the source issue, if you have a rule that you don’t care whether people follow it, you should just remove it as a rule. As long as it’s there, people will (reasonably IMHO) complain.

• PoV says:

I would not be surprised if it does disappear in a future event, especially if someone gets taken advantage of. Again, we try to do what’s best for the community. The rule is there as a means of making everyone participating feel they are competing on fairer terms. Source has been our way to help ensure that. If there is a better way that isn’t clumsy or awkward (not everyone likes to be watched/timelapsed), we’re definitely open to suggestions.

Anyways, the source for the missing game is now available.

8. Daz says:

It’s always interesting to see how people rate categories I didn’t aim for, like humor. Grats to all, looking forward to the next one.

9. MadGnomeGamer says:

I didn’t aim for humour either, but I got 89th! :)

10. MurrayL says:

Thanks to everyone who got subAtomic to #1 in Humour!

11. MurrayL: you deserved it!

Thanks to everyone who got Kumiho #5 in Fun (Jam), #14 in Overall (Jam), #16 in Graphics (Jam), #21 in Audio (Jam)

Everyone, good job!! We all won

12. Sestren says:

I had a lot of fun participating. I ran out of time and barely didn’t make Gold on Coolness, but I refused to “rush” my voting on games toward the end, which I think is a good thing. You’ll definitely see me participating in August, I may even try to make one of the mini-LDs before then if I can. Thanks again to everyone for making such awesome games.

13. Orni says:

when will PAX and Assembly take place ?

14. trq says:

Phew, I think now I’ll be sick of word ‘tiny’ for some time :)

15. SLiV says:

Grats Ludum Dare, and grats to all the winners as well!

16. caranha says:

Can we get, besides the final score, standard deviation for our scores?

Please? Pretty please? With sugar on top?

17. [...] Tiny, World! is a game made for the 72 hour game jam for Ludum Dare 23. The objective of the game is to shoot the planets, which shrinks them, so that [...]

18. [...] its 10th anniversary game jam and that can only mean that judging has now come to a close and the results are in! The goal in order to celebrate the special anniversary event was to have 1000 games produced in [...]

19. [...] its 10th anniversary game jam and that can only mean that judging has now come to a close and the results are in! The goal in order to celebrate the special anniversary event was to have 1000 games produced in [...]

20. [...] Ludum Dare 23 is one of the best game development competitions around where games are created in a single weekend. The results for the latest competition winners have been published in competition, jam and in additional categories like innovation, mood, coolness and more. Check out the result lists for Compo Top 50, Jam Top 50, Categorical Top 25 or all 1402 games! [...]

21. devince says:

I think a good step for Ludum Dare 23 to go a little bit further is to go to the TOP 26 for categories… It will be a huge revolution and I will be in it this way ^^
    Ludum Dare rox, live long and prosper.

22. Deozaan says:

Congratulations to the winners and everybody who made a game!

23. Gornova says:

Thanks to everyone, great games, too much fun playing all (coolness 100% this time), I’m joking, impossible playing it all!!

24. Gabriel says:

This was our first participation in a game jam, and I’m AMAZED that Tiny Shards made it this far! Thank you all so much! I can’t help but feeling that we don’t deserve it, you guys are just great!

For those who liked it, know that it is some kind of miniature version of the game we’re developing, “The Journey of Eko”. I post news about the development as well as videos in http://www.pixelcows.com every now and then, and would be absolutely thrilled to receive feedback from you guys in there as we make progress on its development!

I already said it in like 100 places, but here it goes again: we at Pixel Cows want to thank all the Ludum Dare veterans for the warm reception – this is a great community that I’m proud to now be part of! And congrats to everybody who made a game, as Deozaan said. The most difficult part of making a great game is starting one and commiting to finish it, so everyone here is, at the very least, a few steps closer to do something great! ;)

25. Eliot says:

Is there a way to view my entry’s score in all categories? Right now, on my entry page, I only see the scores for graphics and coolness.

26. PIXEL^3 says: