Ludum Dare 31
Theme:
Entire Game on One Screen

Judging ends in:
It’s time to Play and Rate Games!

PlayRate80Star

Be an artist. Be unique. Be rad.

Don’t set out to reach the largest audience just because you think that’s what you’re supposed to do.

Set out to make something great, and those that CAN play it… WILL play it.

If making a cross-platform game is what you WANT to do, then do that.

If making a game that only 1 person can play is what you WANT to do, then do that.

The games industry would be much better off if the artists could focus more on what they wanted to do rather than what they were told to do or persuaded to do… and that includes trying to reach the largest audience possible.

Just a quick message to anyone that may feel pressured into making a browser game for the next Ludum Dare, even if you don’t really want to.

Make the game you want… the way you want to make it.

Tags:

15 Responses to “Make The Game You Want (The Way You Want To Make It)”

1. BlackDogg says:

As a an artist myself, I say, Sir, you are awesome !

2. MrPhil says:

I totally agree, but I think the stumbling block is time. We want more time to make games, to grow as an artist and pursue our ideas. But the day job is in the way. So, you start thinking about appealing to a large audience to make some money so you can quit that day job.

3. digital_sorceress says:

Up the Revolution!

4. Raptor85 says:

agreed with the concept but on the flip side of this don’t be surprised when your game is almost completely ignored by 99% of the contest participants, you make a game that not many people can run you’re not going to get much feedback other than “couldn’t test” which while it’s great that you had fun making it part of the point is the feedback which you only cheat yourself out of by doing that !

Now that’s not saying “make a web game” more of when choosing which libraries to use if option A supports more people than B (or option A doesn’t require a dozen framework installs but B does) ….consider using A.

• johnfn says:

Having your game ignored by a percentage of Ludum Dare voters is the choice we decide to make. I personally believe this choice is worth it. If you don’t think it’s worth it, you don’t have to go around telling people it’s not worth it. It’s an opinion, not a rule set in stone :)

• Raptor85 says:

just fyi on that, when you see things like “can’t test, don’t have windows/mac/etc…” on your ratings page don’t assume it’s trying to tell you what to do (not saying you think this but I can see how some people might infer that). It ‘s the only way to get if off your ratings page so you can rate other games.

• dr_soda says:

Just to riff off of the phrase “don’t be surprised when your game is almost completely ignored by [n]% of contestants”, I’m curious whether anyone really acutally *is* surprised?

For my part, I didn’t go into LD expecting a lot of ratings or attempts to play my game. I was surprised though, at the number who actually did stop by and hit that “Save” button. I’m sure 1/3 of my “ratings” are “can’t play, don’t own an Android” but I can see just from Google’s records how many downloads I’ve had and it’s not small. If anything I was surprised at how many actually *have* played the game.

5. johnfn says:

This is what I like to hear.

6. dr_soda says:

In your honor, my next game will be an Arduino version of Pong where the “pixel” graphics are all rendered in LCD lights.

*Note : my next game will in all likelihood NOT be an Arduino contraption.

7. caranha says:

I’m of two minds about this.

When someone makes a conscious choice that limits their user base (android developers, unity developers, etc), sure, it is their decision, go ahead with it!

When on the other hand, you decide not to do something your platform already allows you to, It smells to much of laziness for me. For instance, people who put windows builds that need to be installed, instead of just the ready-to-run binary, or people who post source without the binaries, etc.

• nilstastic says:

I think that the reason people put up windows builds that need to be installed etc is that they do not know better. A lot of people are getting their first taste of what it’s like to deploy a game to a larger audience. Give them time, and it’ll improve. =)

8. nilstastic says:

I’m in ld for the challenge, to see if i can create what i want in the way i want. Staying in your comfort zone does not promote progress, but hinders it.

“We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.”

9. AlwaysGeeky says:

I completely agree with this sentiment… you should make exactly what YOU want and nothing else :)

Its the spirit of LD and also the main reason why people create and make games in the first place… hell, everytime I make anything it is because I want to play it myself.