This was my first time competing, and overall I’m happy with the outcome. I only ended up with four of the five levels in the game, and there are bugs and oddities in the game. The feedback I have received has been all somewhat positive, with suggestions saying to consider an external library, have some visual indicator of enemy health, you can fly on the second section of each level, etc. This screenshot also shows a few things I would’ve changed if I had more time or had planned more.
What went right
>> I did end up with something playable on Sunday, and I am working out some of the bugs and improving it in my free time
>> I had quite a fun time and this was a great experience.
What went wrong
>> Bugs, bugs, bugs… some more apparent than others, nothing that crashed but the flying thing was definitely a problem.
>> I never got audio working, that will be implemented on the fixed version and posted somewhere on the internets.
>> Some of the pixel graphics look weird because I am shit with graphics.
What I would do differently
>> Definitely acquaint myself with my tools beforehand. I was only using standard Java classes and Paint.NET for graphics.
>> Dedicate more time to it. I started a few hours late and didn’t stay up for the entire 48 hour time period.
>> Overall this was a good experience, and I will probably be doing something for the next one.