About | Rules and Guide | Sign In/Create Account | Write a Post
Construction1990’s Internet Montage? No!
Please excuse the site weirdness. Mike is fixing and making things.
Ludum Dare 31 — Coming December 5th-8th 2014!

• ??? Begins: in 7 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes, 21 seconds
  • October Ends: in 8 days, 17 hours, 24 minutes, 21 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 31 begins: in 43 days, 18 hours, 12 minutes, 21 seconds
  • (FYI: Clock might be off) | Ludum Dare 31: Real World Gatherings (Now Open!)

[ October Challenge 2014 | Resources | Submit/Edit | View All ]

Creative Takes on the Theme?

Posted by (twitter: @StaticVoidGames)
    April 25th, 2012 5:26 pm

Many of our games (including my own) took the theme in one of a couple directions: you’re in space, you’re in a game with space restrictions (a platformer with small levels, a game on an island, etc), or you’re a bug/microbe of some kind. That’s inevitable given we all used the same theme, and there’s nothing wrong with that, and many of those games are awesome, fun, and creative despite sharing similarities.

But I just played spectrumTrap by sugarlollipop (http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=12988), and she took the theme in an entirely different direction. It’s not exactly a game, but I love the creative twist on the theme. It was really refreshing after playing different versions of similar games for the past few days.

So, has anybody else come across a game they thought did something creative with the theme? I’d love to play more of them, but I don’t know how to search for them amongst the masses. Weird games, non-games, whatever. I’m not looking for games that ignored the theme, but took the theme and did something different with it.

7 Responses to “Creative Takes on the Theme?”

1. SusanTheCat says:

I liked Ok…Now this is akward! by Pierrec http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=1874 It took the theme in a more soscial direction i.e. “Isn’t it a small world”

And, of course mine, where you play a game with fairies and mushrooms (In no way like bugs or microbes! :) )

Susan

2. KevinWorkman says:

I enjoyed that game! I wish I would have gone in a direction using a small town (a hometown) as a tiny world, or a deadend life or something, but I just wasn’t feeling the creative juices.

3. Milo says:

At the start of the dare, I had the idea of doing something based on Milgram’s small world experiment and the idea of six degrees of separation. So, doing stuff on social networks. I couldn’t figure out how to turn that into a game though…

4. ekunkeo says:

going to plug ours because its relevant and would loved to get more people to play it as we all do :3

Anyways this is about two brothers whom only have each other, playing out fantasies, in the confines of their room.

5. dr_soda says:

KevinWorkman : That small town idea was actually one of the first things I thought of for the compo, but wasn’t sure how to translate it into a fun game. I’m sure there’s something to it.

6. Orni says:

try mine http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=10771
      but give it some minutes to pull you in it’s world – it has a bit of a lengthy opening

7. inspiration says:

inspiration…

[...]Ludum Dare » Blog Archive » Creative Takes on the Theme?[...]…