Well, I guess that’s time to do a little recap on my entry: The Little Glitch
What went right:
- I finished on time!
- Made the basic engine abstract enough to be able to be extended to any interaction possible.
- Focused on code first, then level design, then graphics.
- I chose tools I am used to.
- Kept ideas in the plane of doable.
What went wrong:
- Wasted 5 hours of great inspiration in a event.
- Internet was slow as hell
- Used outdated beta version of Unity, had to upload web version later.
- On-the-fly slow level designing
- Saw the theme 5 minutes in the compo
What to improve next time:
- Make a usable and efficient library for basic things
- Cancel all events.
- Check the theme right when it is chosen.
- Plan features before implementing
- Make concept art
- Take screenshots
I kind of planned the game as I went creating, with no design beforehand, no plans on what to do.
But overall, I think I made a good job. This is the first game I am officialy completing, everything else I made was just tech demos to test engine capabilities.
I also hope new Ludum Darians (or whatever) read these post-mortems and prepare themselves before joining.
Tips to fellow programmers:
- Plan yourself, let nothing in the way of your creation.
- Use a platform / engine you already know.
- Sleep enough, or sleep a lot before the event starts.
Note to self: buy a faster and more stable internet.