Saturday was a write-off due to visitors, then I had a reasonable idea (similar to some others, I’ve learned). I started some basic code in Flash to render and subdivide hexagons, but then my mind drifted off to other things and I couldn’t bring myself to add gameplay components during Sunday. Was hoping for a jam entry, but after refining the concept on Monday I still didn’t really feel the spark needed to sit down and make it work. Too bad.
I think it might work out as a fun abstract game though, but probably needs a lot of reactionary tweaking after the initial playable builds start popping out, to adjust balance and add interesting challenges. Pacing might also be a problem, making it fast enough to be entertaining but not too fast for comfort. I imagined having mouse controls of a slightly unusual nature where you move to aim and are able to do limited backwards movement while still aiming and firing.
Feast on these conceptual mockups while I try to find the brain fuel for a post-compo implementation.
Congratulations to all the participants with far greater discipline than me! Getting a game completed and submitted isn’t a small thing at all. I look forward to browsing the results, as always. Next time I will have to do some warmups to iron out my gremlins before it gets serious.