Post-Mortem: Robots Are Red…

Posted by (twitter: @d_durham)
April 23rd, 2012 5:35 am

My game is here: Robots Are Red, Violets Are Blue

This was my Ludum Dare, my first game jam in fact so I was excited to take part even though I didn’t have a clear weekend ahead of me.

Tools Used

  • FlashDevelop for ActionScript coding
  • Flash Professional to create and package up my graphical assets
  • Paint.NET to tweak exported bitmaps
  • sfxr to knock out some quick sound effects

The Good

Though I wasn’t able to start development on the game until Saturday evening,  I had been contemplating the theme throughout the day. When I sat down to begin coding I had a pretty solid idea of what the game was, which was great.

I actually like how the control player movement system worked out, easy enough to move but clumsy enough cause some damage to the town.

The Bad

The town below needed more work both graphically and for gameplay. The gaps between buildings are generally too small and buildings are too big to step over – the whole thing needed balancing.

I bunged in some quick sound effects made with sfxr in the closing stages, but they aren’t great.

The Ugly

None of the graphical assets were finished to a high enough standard (even for me). The robot remained the same as it was in my initial prototype so barely looked like
a robot at all. Also, it would have been good to get some more visual effects in.

What I Would Change

I realised quite late that changing to a single button control mechanic would be better. There’s really no point in using 2 keys as they can’t be used at the same time.

I’d originally planned to have cars moving around the roads, but this had to be dropped.

I had wanted a ‘week’ system, where the player starts on Monday and completes the day’s work, then the next day is slightly harder. Again, I ran out of time.

Lessons learned

Although I do think a few more hours would have come in handy, I also think having some time over the weekend to go and do something else (e.g. walking the dog, shopping, DIY etc) was useful in order to reflect on ideas and let them evolve away from the computer.

Keeping two task lists was good. One for ‘must haves’ and one for ‘nice to haves’. I could concentrate on the ‘must haves’, but occasionally reward myself with a ‘nice to have’ (generally polish stuff) when I needed a boost.


Overall I’m pretty happy something half-way playable came out of the weekend and it was a great thing to experience. I’ll definitely try to participate in the future.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]