Posted by (twitter: @triplefox)
April 22nd, 2012 4:23 pm

It went relatively smoothly. I made a timelapse, which I’ll hopefully post a little later. I have some thoughts for a post-compo version which would add more stuff, particularly saving and loading.

The only major sources of lost time were problems within my own framework(bugs, misfeatures, etc.) and the sampleset I used(they each had weird patch settings which I fixed by hand) – but it was overall a relaxed feeling, especially after the second day was over. Very different from my experience in LD22, where I was coming down to the wire to build tons of content in a short period.

As a bit of reflection: The influences on this game are many and varied. A good portion of it stems from the feedback of my previous work(in which I’ve played with celluar automata systems, synthesis and procedural content). The ASCII emulation was made previously for a compo of the Moosader community, and I made a very deliberate choice to go for ZZT-like styling. And I had just come off of getting the sampler/sequencer working for MIDI demos, so I was prepared to reuse it for another project and round off some edges in the process. Last but not least, I had a lot of inspiration from all the games of this style(Falling Sand or otherwise) but got lucky in quickly finding a productive set of “playing pieces” to work with.

One Response to “Finished”

  1. Hydlide says:

    Looks awesome, I’ll check it out soon!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]