A quick reminder – read the rules!

Posted by (twitter: @codeapparat)
April 16th, 2012 4:54 am

During last Ludum Dare there were some participants who weren’t aware of the rules, especially not of the restrictive rules of the 48 hour compo. Yes, it is a fun competition, but the restrictive rules are part of the fun. Participate in the Jam if the rules are too restrictive for you. Having to argue about violated rules afterwards is always awkward, thus here a quick reminder: Read the rules!

The most important restriction some weren’t aware of: ALL content must be created within 48 hours! This means you are NOT allowed to use graphics, sounds or music previously created by you or others. You are NOT allowed to use downloaded graphics, sounds or music, even if they are free and even if you modify them heavily! The only graphical third-party content you are allowed to use in your project are Fonts. The only third-party audio elements you are allowed to use are drum loops, drum samples and sampled instruments used for music creation.
You are, however, allowed to use Content generators that create graphics, sounds or even music on-the-fly based on parameters given as input. sfxr is a popular example.

The same basically also goes for code, but you are allowed to use all publicly available frameworks and libraries. You are also allowed to use generic base code and personal libraries IF you make them publicly available prior to the start of the competition by posting them here on the site (as a blog post). This exception is probably in place to lessen the advantage of game creators and full-blown game engines over entirely self-written games.

With that being said, have a lot of fun by challenging yourself, be it in the 48-hour-compo or the 72-hour-jam!

10 Responses to “A quick reminder – read the rules!”

1. caranha says:

Tbh, I always the “you can use code libraries, but you can’t use art templates” rule kinda meh. I feel that things like GameMaker and other game engines to be on the same level as a sprite template, as far as “you must make everything in 48 hours” goes.

• Gemberkoekje says:

Weeelll… Everyone can make crappy paint sprites, but not everyone can use C++ or some other lower-level programming language to make a game without a game engine.

It’s not that I don’t understand what you’re saying, but I understand how banning the game engines would disable a lot of people, while enabling sprite templates wouldn’t bring in many more people.

In addition, there could be a copyright problem with some sprite sets ~ like the game using Pokemon sprites in the Warmup.

• caranha says:

The copyright problem is easily solvable: there are plenty of resources online that are in the public domain.

Maybe sprites are a bit easier since there are a lot of easily accessible paint-like programs for those starting from the very zero, but how about creating music? I would much rather have to create my widgets and state management classes from zero if I could use ready-made music from public domain sources and not have to deal with the arcane interfaces of tracker software.

• Gemberkoekje says:

I must also say that I’m mostly looking up to the sound department as well; so much in fact that I might choose not to include sound at all.

• digital_sorceress says:

Sound is one of the categories we vote on. If pd sound were permitted, then I’m not sure it would make sense to have a sound category. Allowing pd graphics causes much the same problem.

I think that the strict rules for sound/graphics are primarily to stop people using copyrighted media. If we allowed pd then many contestants would just use google image search, and not confirm what is pd and what isn’t.