Warmup Weekend – Ludum Dare 23

Posted by (twitter: @mikekasprzak)
April 11th, 2012 9:45 am

Surprise! Warmup Weekend is back!

Between now and Ludum Dare 23β€²s start time, you should really make sure that your tools work. Make some art, import it, and draw it on screen. Make some sounds, import them, and play them on cue. If you’re using a new development tool, learn it.

Bullet point summary:

• No rules or limits. This is practice.
  • Learn your development tools! Write some code, run it.
  • Make some art, get it on screen, make it move.
  • Print some text to the screen. Print some text to a log (if applicable).
  • Make some sound, get it in game, make it play.
  • If you’re motivated enough, make your experiments in to a game!
  • Make something that should take “hours”, not 2 days.
  • Then package it up, put it online.
  • No time or day limit. But if you have no other plans this weekend, why not?

If you like what you’ve done, feel free to share it.

[ Submit Here | View all Warmup Games ]

We’re just getting started here!

37 Responses to “Warmup Weekend – Ludum Dare 23”

1. tcstyle says:

Something like Sos’ random theme generator from the last warmup would be great.

2. huhwhozat says:

Not sure if this was intentional, but the main LD23 post seems to have disappeared.

3. FireSlash says:

If you use scripted engines or languages like Love or Python, now’s a GREAT TIME to upload binaries for other people to test!

Also useful for people who aren’t sure what their reqs might be. Get a simple binary out there for others to test NOW to you’re not stuck on release day with a bunch of comments saying “Couldn’t run”

4. PIXEL^3 says:

Me and the rest of my group would like to join, this would be our first warmup week(actually its our first ludum dare too :3, though I did join last year in december, getting a fairly low score), and it would be a great way to practice making games with flashpunk.

~Jellonator

5. mozzfly says:

Setting up everything including livestream etc. http://www.twitch.tv/experimentalvideos

6. PIXEL^3 says:

We just had the best idea ever. we should get to sleep and tomorrow we shall get started. we already have a planned GUI and story. i’m fairly excited to get started on our warm-up week project :3

~Jellonator

7. KevinWorkman says:

No theme or anything?

This is shameless self promotion, but warm-up weekend would be a perfect time for Java and Processing developers to test out my site, Static Void Games. Just upload a jar and a thumbnail, and you have a decent-looking website showcasing platform independent applet, webstart, and downloadable jar versions of your game without worrying about web development. I’m working on tutorials and ad revenue sharing, but at the very least, it beats drop box.

Check it out if you feel like it: http://staticvoidgames.com/

8. martensms says:

Haha, I did the warmup game the last weekend – am I allowed to submit it? πŸ˜€

It’s a web game (html5 stuffy):

9. InsanityBringer says:

Thanks for reminding me that LD is in a week, I had totally forgotten.

Not sure if I’m going to do a warmup, I burned myself out last time I tried it. Meh.

10. AD-Edge says:

I would totally do this, if it wearnt for the fact that my new laptop left the factory only yesterday and wont arrive until 24 hours before LD23 starts.

Should be a fun one! O_O

11. dertom says:

When I heard right the Theme is: “Evolution Kittens”, right? πŸ˜€

12. Well, I’m in. Playing with psychology in mine.

Let’s see some SUCCESS! Let’s see some EXCELLENCE! Let’s see some PASSION, FIRE, and VIGOR!

– Henry

13. Datamosh says:

The theme should be ‘Intense’ or ‘Insomnia’ defining our next weekend

14. onefineline says:

Yes! A theme would be welcome

15. Deepflame says:

Here’s a theme: Buskers!

Join the Indiebuskers spiritually, by making a mini-game about busking! πŸ˜‰

16. Th3dz says:

Here’s mine!
    Try the web version!
    Let me know what you think @Th3dz

17. Tommyno222 says:

I’m currently working on something, but I won’t be able to finish it during weekend. Will it be possible to submit it later?

18. dukope says:

This was fun. Based on the theme ‘government control’: I made “The Republia Times”:

19. drlemon says:

If anyone would set one up in LA, i might be able to come… The molyjam got alot of people, im sure some would come to a LD meet-up here, even if i can’t.