Ludum Dare 35
The Theme is:
Shapeshift

Judging ends in
Click here to start

PlayRate80Star

Thanks everyone for coming out! For the next 3 weeks, we’ll be Playing and Rating the games you created.
You NEED ratings to get a score at the end. Play and Rate games to help others find your game.
We’ll be announcing Ludum Dare 36’s August date alongside the results.

I’m in it. Again.

Posted by (twitter: @_pretzelhands)
March 8th, 2012 9:48 am

EPIC INTENTION POST WHICH IS not-so EPIC.

Language: C++
Library: SDL or SFML

Sucky graphics nobody wants to look at: Paint.NET

Randomized sounds of earcancer: BFXR

Quite a lot happened since the last Ludum Dare. I took a deep breath of C++, threw Game Maker into the corner, started looking at SDL and SFML (Comparison), wrote a multifunctional calculator with over 1000 lines of console-goodness, and also wrote a program which I use for learning new words for spanish class.

And that’s about it.

Bring it on, Ludum Dare #23, I’m ready for the 6th time!

7 Responses to “I’m in it. Again.”

1. digital_sorceress says:

Good luck Folis!

I know you have 5 LDs behind you, but since you’re relatively new to C++, you might like to try making a little game with it before taking on LD23.

• Folis says:

Thanks! :)

I’m already working on stuff, trying to make 4-5 little games before this LD. Nothing goes over comfort with the tools. And I still have a whole month of time on my not-so busy hands 😉

2. Pixel_Phased says:

i’ll make that jump from GM at somepoint. Probably in a couple of years or so.

• Folis says:

Just try to finish 1-2 LDs with Game Maker. After that, search for a new language that suits you (I tried many: Python/PyGame; AS3/Flashpunk; AS3/Flixel; Ruby etc.) and start learning it. If it’s not a totally game-dev focused language, try writing small to medium sized programs with it. After that is a decision: Do you want to write from scratch or take up a library. If you choose to take up a library start learning it, one step after another. Also create some small games (Pong, Breakout/Arkanoid – just something simple). After you’ve got through all these steps, you got away from Game Maker. I personally deinstalled it before looking for a new language.

If I was able to do it, you can too.

Or as an alternate step: If you don’t like any other language/library, stay with Game Maker and be proud of it. Even though, it’s looked down upon I can say: It’s not bad at all. I’ve seen quite amazing things done with it.

3. ratking says:

Shouldn’t there be a MiniLD this month, before the next LD?