Question about Judging and the N/A

Posted by (twitter: @Catsweb)
January 1st, 2012 7:48 am

According to the guide:

All participants that submit a game are allowed to judge. Games are given 1-5 star ratings in each category, or N/A where not applicable.

Does N/A = 0 or does N/A = not included?

On a couple of games I’ve rated, I gave a rating of N/A in Audio because I was on a machine with no sound and felt I could not rate them appropriately.  I though that my vote wouldn’t count for that category.  But does it turn out that I was inadvertently giving them a zero score?

Susan

7 Responses to “Question about Judging and the N/A”

1. digital_sorceress says:

I had that thought myself in august.

But N/A means that you are not voting in that category, and are not affecting the average score.

In august I did some analysis of the results, and it became clear that N/A meant this. :)

To confuse things further, N/A appears to be stored in the database as a zero, but zeros are not included in the averaging. :p

2. SusanTheCat says:

*phew*

Thanks! I was hearing about people giving games a zero for sound and I was worried. One of my laptops is linux based and I am unable to get the sound working. Now I have an old PPC mac that has sound, but has a wussy processor so some games run VERY slowly.

Susan

• digital_sorceress says:

>>>Now I have an old PPC mac that has sound…

I use one of those too for internet related things. Most OSX/Web games will work fine on it, but about a quarter of them will run at 5fps or less. Most Unity apps work okay too, but those that don’t will freeze the browser completely.

I use the Camino 2.0.9 browser with it. It’s very lightweight and fast for PPC processors. :)

3. Raptor85 says:

crap, i’m going to have to go back and re-rate some stuff, i was assuming it was zero and giving it on games that didn’t include sound.

• digital_sorceress says:

I think that N/A would be the correct thing to give if a game feels like it isn’t supposed to have sound. (eg a text adventure).

I’d give 1 star if a game feels like it’s supposed to have sound but doesn’t have any. (eg a shoot-’em-up).

That probably means that I judge games by what I feel is lacking, rather than what is present.

4. nuria says:

Good to see you bring this up, I’m about to write a post on how (in my opinion) the Ludum Dare site could improve, this definitively needs some clarification as it is not stated anywhere.

It’s just like the Youtube video embedding mystery, is not stated anywhere, so little details like that should be corrected to enhance the Ludum Dare experience.