About | Rules and Guide | Sign In/Create Account | Write a Post
Construction1990’s Internet Montage? No!
Please excuse the site weirdness. Mike is fixing and making things.
Ludum Dare 31 — Coming December 5th-8th 2014!

  • ??? Begins: in 9 days, 13 hours, 28 minutes, 51 seconds
  • October Ends: in 10 days, 13 hours, 40 minutes, 51 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 31 begins: in 45 days, 14 hours, 28 minutes, 51 seconds
  • (FYI: Clock might be off) | Ludum Dare 31: Real World Gatherings (Now Open!)

    [ October Challenge 2014 | Resources | Submit/Edit | View All ]

    “Leave My Lettuce Alone :(” Post-mortem

    Posted by
    December 20th, 2011 3:09 am

    What went right:

    – The Food & Drink:

    Prepared enough food for myself for the weekend, made sure the house was stocked up with enough to eat and drink in case I became bored of consuming that. Only drank 4 energy drinks over the weekend, and avoided coffee and alcohol.

    – The Idea:

    I came up with an idea pretty quickly, and stayed focused on it until I had a working game mechanic. This took a total of 9 hours with 1 good break in the middle.

    – The Graphics:

    Decided right away that I’d be hand drawing all my graphics. For this I used a graphics tablet, and was the best decision I made yet. Initially planned to make a 3D game, went ahead and made a 2D prototype, but had more than enough time to turn it into a 3D game during the second day and did!

    – The Engine:

    This is the 3rd LD I’ve used my own engine, I was going to be doing it in C# with a port of my engine initially, but decided against this as I’ve fixed a lot of bugs over the last year and it would be throwing away productivity if I didn’t take advantage of this.


    What went wrong:

    – The Sound & Music:

    Completely uninspired musically and don’t have the greatest library of synths, and not totally familiar with the tools I chose to use. Sound wise I didn’t produce much. The sounds I created were quickly made with Audacity recording with a microphone and filtering.

    – The Submission:

    Thanks to a recent update I made to my engine to do multithreaded rendering, and only testing on single/dual core machines, I missed a critical bug in my job system which prevented it from working on a machine with more than 2 cores. It’s been fixed now, but it’s something I should have tested before hand.

    – The Development “Hardware”:

    To make sure the game worked for most others, I developed the game in Windows XP…inside Virtual Box…in OSX. This was a nightmare as the GL window will block Visual Studio when hitting a breakpoint, causing several headaches…not to mention that GL is slow inside a VM (could be considered an advantage performance wise since it’ll run smoothly on almost any machines). Next time I will be using a hard machine, hopefully with Windows 7 installed, and do compatibility testing inside a VM & on other machines.

    – The Sleep & Night Before:

    The day before LD it was my companies xmas party, which meant I drank a lot, and got very little sleep before LD. This turned out not to be so bad as the adrenaline of LD hit me hard! Saturday night (well…Sunday morning) I scraped 5 hours sleep before the second day. Didn’t sleep Sunday night and continued to work, but got there eventually. Monday was taken off work as a means of catching up on sleep, but sleeping through the Monday messed up the sleep that night, causing me to remain tired on the Tuesday. Could be worse, thought I managed it fine, but not so much as I would have liked.

    Before next Ludum Dare:

    – Ensure I’m familiar with all my tools.

    – Test on several different machines.

    – Improve my engine’s content pipeline.


    My entry can be found here:


    The timelapse video is here:







    One Response to ““Leave My Lettuce Alone :(” Post-mortem”

    1. [...] here to see the original: Ludum Dare » Blog Archive » “Leave My Lettuce Alone ” Post … Uncategorized   during-the-second, enough-time, game-during, graphics-tablet, the-best, [...]

    Leave a Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    All posts, images, and comments are owned by their creators.

    [cache: storing page]