Time lapse here!

 

Ah, finished! Well, as much as I can. The graphics are…extremely lacking, there are no cutscene animations, but I figured those were things I could let go, so it’s okay.

Explanation of story

Anyways, the story of the game. It’s kind of ridiculous – Duke is this guy, a super Davement fan – so he goes back to 1990 to snag their demos, but gets stuck. He also has an anxiety disorder so needs to stay on meds at all times (12 second intervals, actually).  The whole anxiety thing came from a dream. Personally, I’d be anxious/distraught at first if I was stuck in 1990…I’ve asked other friends how they’d feel, answers range from “I’d be okay.” to “Whatever.”

So I guess that’s the premise of “alone”. Sort of forced, admittedly, but hey. Made for an element of being rushed, and it was something I could manage to do in 48 hours, so I’m fine.

Anyways, he decides to go beat up the members of Davement by breaking into their houses at night while they’re sleeping, and force them to join *his* band. And during the day, Duke runs around his house (which always changes…), collecting notes, which, uh, for some reason, makes Davement’s future hit singles!

 

Right…

 

design

The basis of the game ended up being racing against the clock, eh, overdone, but doable for now. I didn’t really have time to code other special types of tiles (in fact I had to code the coordinates of the collectibles by hand…oops, going to learn how to avoid doing that…).

The “anxiety meter” fills, as it fills more, a out-of-tune..tune…starts to play, the screen darkens, until you fail (in which an undone “you lose!” screen pops up, and you turn into a black rectangle), or you get an anxiety medication – which fixes everything!…for 12 seconds.

Right, so there’s that – on the note-collecting stages, since my resources were limited…I tried to make an element (at least on the last two stages) of trade-offs in time/difficulty – players can go for all the notes, but it takes longer time, so losing has a greater penalty in that respect – and of course there is less room for error (although admittedly the game isn’t very hard.)

And the cutscenes, well, they devolve, I could not particularly get in the mood to make them very witty or whatever. The ending doesn’t even have music! It’s a screen! That’s it…I added some variance on the ending dialogue based on how you did, from the “Ditchpork” review society…but that’s not even very funny. But, ah, that’s okay.

 

Graphics

more or less, the spriting was a disaster, as the tiling. Never realized how long it takes to tile a good map, once you get the tileset drawn! Definitely something that should be simpler and still look okay next time…

There is no animation in the musical notes, and they look like crap. The pills “rotate” albeit at 6 FPS, and look terrible. The animation of the character is embarrassing, but, ah, that’s okay.

I’m satisfied with the background, though! Those are fun to draw.

 

Music

I ended up not writing as much music as I though for this. Just this cutscene bossa nova thing (which is basically the most cliched chord progression, with a tacked on melody), and this…chill triangle-wave stage theme. I wanted of course, an ending theme, different stage themes, but I am too tired! Ah. So i guess I’m okay with the music. Making the note sounds was fun (did it in pxtone, cut up into 5 mp3s). As is the “ambiance” for when you grow close to losing!

 

Challenges?

Well, time management, for one. And drawing. have to practice more at that.

As far as programming…everything ended up sort of straightforward. As much as I dislike coding in windows, the Flashdevelop IDE really is quite useful and much faster than what I was using this time (vim on ubuntu). I also had a crappy debugger for linux (just trace statements, oops), which became a pain in the ass every now and then where I’d leave a string set to null or something.

 

I guess the tough thing with programming is, of course, organization…i.e., setting up the attributes of certain objects, etc. Flixel is nice, but everything really *does* seem to end up global.  Ah. I suppose I “copped out” with the programming aspect, in terms of challenging things to code! But I wanted to play it relatively safe for my first time, so, yes.

 

———

All in all, I’m glad to have done this, and have some sort of finished product!


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]