So the scores are in and LD20 has come to a close! Though I didn’t get any awards, I’m happy that I scored some points for innovation. Now that voting is over, I’ve decided to share the post-compo version of the game. I’ve fixed most of the gameplay issues that plagued my entry and likely led to its reduced score. Here is an overview of what I’ve added:
- The word now procedurally generates itself as the player moves through it, making it effectively infinite.
- Sounds for player movement, the environment, and brick movement.
- A skybox, windmill building, new models, and other artistic elements.
- A messaging/menu system that provides a minimal tutorial.
- Character scripts that have reduced sensitivity, better handling mechanics, etc.
- Options screen so that players can tweak controls and a/v settings.
- Inventory system.
- Elevators, roads, shops, farms, and new brick types.
- Story/NPCs etc.
It’s been fun working on this project, and I’ve learned a great deal in terms of game design and programming. Check out the game’s website for future updates and downloadable versions of the game. I’d like to hear your feedback!