I am putting on my tights, lacing up my boots and preparing to step into the ring for the twentieth incarnation of the Ludum Dare battle royal. This compo I’m doing something different. Last week I started playing with FlashDevelop and FlashPunk, and I’d like to see if I can come up with an entry using it.
- Sketchy – I’ve been drawing pictures for my entries on blank paper, scanning them in and colorizing them in Photoshop. I really like the way it looks. If I do it well, it ends up kind of like South Park or other ‘cheap’ looking cartoons.
- Simple – Don’t overreach with the game idea. Do something easy that can be completed by Sunday morning for polish.
- Future – I’d love to make something that can be updated or ‘finished’ after the compo is done and stuck on the web. I will try to keep that in mind while coding. The hard part will be deciding between a compo get-it-done-now solution versus a long-term solution.
- Music – I’ve never done an entry with music. I think it adds a lot to the feel of the game, so I’d like to give myself time to do that, and something more than just dropping in a midi file.
- Place – I’d like to show up in the final standings somewhere. There is a lot of competition now, compared to two years ago, so this will be hard. Any appearance in the top five of a category will feel like a compo win for me.
- FlashDevelop IDE
- FlashPunk framework
- Adobe Photoshop CS4
- DrPetter’s sfxr for sound effects
- Audacity for post-processing sound effects
- Wolfram Tones for music
- HP OfficeJet 6450 All-In-One for sketches
- mIRC for chatting