LD Census

Posted by
January 5th, 2011 8:24 pm

I made a census!

So, since somebody on IRC had the wonderful idea, I made a census. It’s short, 10 questions, nothing too personal. It would provide some insight into the LD Community as well, so if you could take it that would be awesome. And here’s a link to it: LD Census

22 Responses to “LD Census”

1. machinas says:

Thanks, demize. I can’t wait to see the results. and the somebody we me 😛

2. joekinley says:

Go census

3. MrDude says:

And how is Ubuntu not part of “Other Linux”?

That could just as easily be Fedora and “Other Linux” or Debian and “Other Linux” or event *shudder* Gentoo and “Other Linux”.

It seems kind of arbitrary to me. Has Ubuntu mutated in some way that makes it different to develop in/from? Or is it just that it’s so common?

Seems silly to me.

• demize says:

Yeah, I get what you mean. But Ubuntu is (afaik) one of the most popular linux distros, so I included it as it’s own OS – like OS X is Unix, but I included it as Mac OS.

• MrDude says:

Ubuntu uses the same dev tools and binaries as most (If not all) other Linux distros. That’s why I mentioned it.

It’s not a huge deal, but please understand why I said it. It’s not an “Ubuntu isn’t the only Linux distro” issue, it’s an “Ubuntu isn’t any different from other Linux distro” issue.

Linux is the actual operating system. Linux distro’s are Linux packaged with software. Ubuntu, Fedora, Slackware, and even Gentoo all run the same binaries. They’re the same as far as game dev is concerned.

• GreaseMonkey says:

I digress. My experience with Ubuntu is that they LOVE to break everything to do with audio. Both Ubuntu and Debian modify packages (e.g. I run Ubuntu on a stock Linux kernel and you don’t get that graphical boot crap), except Ubuntu tends to break stuff (e.g. ClapSnd works with stock portaudio but it freezes with the Ubuntu Edition™; also their esound package does not work AT ALL).

• MrDude says:

That might be your machine, though. My netbook doesn’t like sound buffers shorter than 1024 frames, for example. The exception being LMMS, where it throws a hissy fit if the buffer isn’t exactly 2048 frames long. And that has been my experience in general, not just with Fedora.

Modifying packages *would* also do that, mind you.

4. joekinley says:

Stop whining dude, in fact mostly it really ends up in being ubuntu or other oses when it comes to private computers

• MrDude says:

The point I’m making isn’t “Wah! I’m not included!”, it’s that Ubuntu isn’t all that different from other Linux-based OSes, so it probably shouldn’t be its own category. That’s all I’m saying.

• Jonny D says:

I would agree. I’d rather say I support Linux than say I support Ubuntu. Toss them all together, since if you develop for one, the binaries typically work across the board nowadays.

5. pekuja says:

Does “Do a MiniLD” mean participating or organizing?

6. pekuja says:

Please change “PC” to “Windows”.

• demize says:

For some reason, to me the platform is PC but the OS is Windows. I suppose Windows would be better, though. I may get around to changing it eventually.

• 31eee384 says:

Agreed, PC = personal computer = platform. However, right below that you list Mac OS X, and Linux.

Windows is also a platform, in my opinion–Personal Computer being a more general group including all personal computers such as Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

Thanks for making this survey, though. Hope we can get some good data from it. 😀

• MrDude says:

In my opinion, PC means something that is x86-based, meaning at least mostly compatible with an Intel 32-bit CPU. I would include 64-bit x86 chips in that as well, though. (Though I think that only AMD makes 64-bit x68 chips, Intel has moved on to a new architecture for its 64-bit CPU’s if I recall.)

But I tend to use that to differentiate between PC hardware and Mac hardware. Using PC to mean “Personal Computer” as opposed to “Game Console”, “Smart Phone”, or even “Web-Based” is also fairly useful.

But yeah, PC and Windows are not the same thing.

7. AtkinsSJ says:

Could have done with a ‘Web’ category for ‘platforms you develop for’.

Otherwise, should be interesting to see the results.

8. Jonny D says:

The Education question seems limited… Americans use college and university interchangeably. We usually differentiate based on the degree earned, since many schools offer programs leading to two-year and four-year degrees (typically Associate’s and Bachelor’s). There are a lot of young game developers still in college (no degree) and many (many) with a Bachelor’s degree (but college was their highest level of education). Then there are the levels beyond, which might be covered by Master’s and Doctorate degrees (both from Grad School – sorta hidden within your term “University”).

9. joekinley says:

Totally thanks. Is there any deadline for the result?