Hey Extravagant Timelapse Video Makers!

Posted by (twitter: @mikekasprzak)
December 15th, 2010 2:03 am

Phil and I are discussing some ideas for the 10 year anniversary of Ludum Dare (2012). In addition to assuming the Mayan’s are correct, we want our 10 year celebration to be big. We’re still figuring out what that means, but I know a number of you like to do fun things with your timelapse videos.

So in the case we start doing LD exhibits or related events, I’d like to offer some suggestions that’ll make those videos more useful to us.

• Keep the video under 5 minutes (less is better).
  • Show the theme and event number at the beginning (so people know what you’re doing — you can’t always read the description).
  • Show the finished game at the end.
  • Take credit!
  • The more unique/interesting/amusing the video is, the more likely we’ll want to show it
  • Music with a license that doesn’t require us to pay royalties is preferred.
  • 16:9 is preferred (since TV’s are all that aspect now), but 4:3 is fine.
  • Upload it to Youtube, so we can make a playlist.
  • Keep a high quality original around for a while. I will be contacting a few of you within a month of the event for an original (and your permission to show it).

I’ll be collecting videos in each event of 2011, so you have plenty of chances to out-do your prior videos.

Again, you are not required to follow my guidelines, or make a video at all. If you don’t think you can make a good game while being recorded, focus on the game instead. Thanks everyone!

17 Responses to “Hey Extravagant Timelapse Video Makers!”

1. moltanem2000 says:

Intriguing.

2. Codexus says:

Mmm, what about potential copyright problem like wallpapers, watching videos during the compo, etc?

3. Spunkmeyer says:

Great idea. I think the watched backgrounds and videos can be considered as a ‘part of the art’ of game making and should be no problem. But im not a lawyer :-)

4. I’m participating for the first time, but I’ll sure have a look at how I can create an interesting time-lapse video.

5. Rolith says:

Anyone have any guides for how to record? wouldn’t mind doing this but going to have enough tech running.

6. Do these time-lapse videos get voted? If so, does it have to be submitted at the same time as the game, or are there any specific rules?

7. Gigacat says:

I am gonna use a program to take a screenshot of my computer screen every 20 minutes, then putting those shots in a playlist sort of thing…

8. If someone reading this thread needs royalty-free BGM for their video, I am the creator and copyright holder for the files “lostcan.xm”, “illegal0.xm” and “beat-170.xm” on modarchive.org – feel free to use or remix them for this (please give credit, and if you do a remix, state that people are hearing the remixed version, though).

(Don’t use illegal1.xm or illegal2.xm, though – I’m planning to use one of ’em for my own timelapse!)

9. rockford says: