About | Rules and Guide
Construction1990’s Internet Montage? No!
Please excuse the site weirdness. Mike is fixing and making things.
Ludum Dare 31 — Coming December 5th-8th 2014!

• ??? Begins: in 7 days, 15 hours, 10 minutes, 30 seconds
  • October Ends: in 8 days, 15 hours, 22 minutes, 30 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 31 begins: in 43 days, 16 hours, 10 minutes, 30 seconds
  • (FYI: Clock might be off) | Ludum Dare 31: Real World Gatherings (Now Open!)

[ October Challenge 2014 | Resources | Submit/Edit | View All ]

For those of you who can’t make music

Posted by
    December 14th, 2010 8:33 pm

but can run Python, here’s a little something for you. It might be a bit too cheesy for your game, unfortunately… if you want to you can try modifying it to use a minor scale. Also, you’ll need some samples, and a tracker to put the samples in.

Suddenly, your game has a somewhat full sounding soundtrack with a bunch of randochords shoved in.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Here’s a version which does minor scales every now and then and generates its own (not very good) samples.

EDIT 2 (Dec 2011!): The links are a bit dead, so try this: http://gm.64pixels.org/stuff/atrk-c-edit.py.txt – this edit was because ExciteMike linked to here. I should probably consider a new version of this thing, most likely from scratch again. Also have some samples.

29 Responses to “For those of you who can’t make music”

1. hdon says:

I’ve been messing around for a few days in MilkyTracker just so I have ideas for the compo. I will check your tool out if for no other reason than curiosity :)

2. xhunterko says:

Too bad I can’t use python. Sigh.

3. RunnerPack says:

It doesn’t seem to be making usable songs for me. Are these not standard Impulse Tracker files? I’m using Python 2.6 in WinXP, and testing songs in Winamp, OpenMPT, and ChibiTracker. I either get a repeating “beep” or just silence.

• GreaseMonkey says:

@RunnerPack: You need to add your own samples. Open ChibiTracker and then try to shove some in. I’ve supplied a link which should point you to here: http://pubacc.wilcox-tech.com/~greaser/mods/pax/

• GreaseMonkey says:

Oh yeah, uh, 1 = lead, 2 = bass, 3 = closed hihat, 4 = kickdrum, 5 = snaredrum, 6 = chords.

• RunnerPack says:

Okay, I put in some samples, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s looping after a couple of notes in the first pattern; sometimes it loops on the second or third tick before any notes play at all. Could you point out where it chooses the effect so I can just prevent it from putting in loops and pattern breaks entirely?

• GreaseMonkey says:

…OK, that’s just weird. Could you please upload the original file somewhere (or generate another)?

• RunnerPack says:

(Note: straight from the script–I didn’t add samples.)

• RunnerPack says:

Well, I figured it out… For some reason, OpenMPT doesn’t like the files. They open fine in SchismTracker (once I learned how to add samples the DOS way ;) But, if you could get OpenMPT and figure out how to get the songs to load in it, I’d be very grateful.

I really like the output, even with unoptimized samples! It’ll definitely get me on my way making music that doesn’t cause ears to bleed ;D Thanks for sharing!

BTW, they seem to use more than the six samples you list above; more like ten or twelve.

• GreaseMonkey says:

Seems to be an issue when I make something that makes .it files. I think OpenMPT expects MIDI macro information after all the pointers, which is something I don’t shove in because it’s not documented. IIRC you just do 01 00 00 00 00 00 or something.

4. Billy Wenge-Murphy says:

I opened in Milkytracker and I don’t see any pattern data at all in the resulting file. Do I have to pass parameters of some sort?

• GreaseMonkey says:

@Billy: I’m not sure why it’s doing that, but I am aware that Milkytracker sometimes modifies pattern data on load for various reasons (e.g. stripping out A00, 100 and 200 from .mod files). Would you be able to upload somewhere so I can have a look at it?

• GreaseMonkey says:

Also you might want to try using a different tracker.

• Billy Wenge-Murphy says:

Yeah I think Milkytracker is the problem. I grabbed Schismtracker and it shows the patterns. Milkytracker doesn’t perfectly support all the big ones but I can play a lot of .its with it…..

Well, the data’s there then, I’ll find a tracker I’m comfortable with and drop in some samples. Thanks!

5. Billy Wenge-Murphy says:

I like the edit. Much easier for the lazy when it puts the samples in for you ;) The tracks sound great.
      I’ll have to do a few dozen to see how much variation there is, but I’m really impressed! Definitely gonna use this for my entry as I have NO musical aptitude, lol

6. ExciteMike says:

This is pretty sweet! I’m seeing if I can quickly combine this with http://www.photonstorm.com/flod so that I don’t have to convert to mp3 first.

7. elbowroom says:

It keeps making cool music!
      How can I customize the output?

I want it to make a slow song :)

• GreaseMonkey says:

@elbowroom: Get an .it based tracker such as SchismTracker, then edit the speed (F9 to load, F12 for the speed settings, F5 to play, F8 to stop, F10 to save).

• GreaseMonkey says:

Alternatively, try changing the base speed in the .py file.
        Look for this line:
        fp.write(struct.pack(“<BBBBBB",128,48,4,125,128,0))

The 125 is where the speed is. If you change that to a lower number, it should be slower.

8. Fenyx says:

How would you convert the .it files to .mid? I want to use this with Game Maker, but… it doesn’t support .it music files… D:

• thristhart says:

Open the .it file in a tracker program – I’ve been using Schism Tracker (linked in the OP) to great effect. From there, convert to wav, and then from wav to mid using the method of your choice.

9. Peter Cooper says:

For anyone who’s wondering, VLC (open source video and audio player) will play these files. And convert them to MP3, etc :-) (To convert to MP3, use the Streaming/Export wizard, transcode audio to MP3, encapsulate as RAW, then rename file to .mp3 when done.)

10. intripoon says:

Could somebody please explain how to use this? I tried running it from a cmd prompt but I only get an error message:

M:\downloads>atrk-c-edit.py
      File “M:\downloads\atrk-c-edit.py”, line 585
      print “rep”, self.pat_chorus_base, self.pat_chorus_ord, len(self.orders)
      ^
      SyntaxError: invalid syntax

11. Helco says:

The source says the application stands under GPL, but which license do the music files generated with this application have?