Now:
October Challenge 2014
Ends in:

Coming Soon:
Ludum Dare 31
December 5th-8th, 2014

ConstructionPlease excuse the site weirdness. Mike is making and fixing things. Clocks are probably wrong. Colors are place-holder.

Ludum Dare 31:

Ludum Deals

???

Recent:

MiniLD #XX

ANNOUNCEMENT BAR! I tell you event things here, but only sometimes.

Announcing mini ludum dare 21

Posted by (twitter: @S0phieH)
September 4th, 2010 2:18 pm

going to announce date, as well as themes and rules all at once, to make a nice change

• theme: Greatest Fear.
  • rule: Collaborate with someone who has never worked on a game before.

you don’t *have* to work with someone else, it’s optional, but encouraged. and collaboration can be of any level, as long as someone (or thing, I won’t discriminate against pets, zoo animals or alien encounters of the game kind) contributes something, be it level design, a doodle on paper you scan and use as a sprite, photos of them for character frames, or writes the dialogue, or voice acts… whatever.

and due to the nature of this rule, these contributions can be made at any time, before, during, or after the weekend of the mini (and I’m super lenient with time anyway, so feel free to take your own 48 hour-ish chunk out of September as you please for putting it all together, the weekend date is mostly so if you want to work alongside others its then).

• the start date: 3am GMT/UTC 25th September.
  • end date (not strict): 3am GMT/UTC 27th September.

[ Submit Here | View All Submissions ]

but like I say, its loose so do whatever suits you.

also judging entries; I know some people like to have minis with a round of judging, I wont be having that, and it’s not up for discussion.

also also, it’s my hope that people will explore what their real greatest fear is through the games they make during this mini, but you are welcome to interpret the theme how you like, or disregard it all-together.

any questions about the rules or anything just comment on this post, but as a general rule anything you want to do, I’m cool with :)

47 Responses to “Announcing mini ludum dare 21”

1. also, it goes without saying that ignoring all of the above and making a fishing game is not only acceptable, but ridiculously cool.

2. HybridMind says:

This is a great idea–hope I have time to participate this month!

3. PoV says:

I like the idea of bringing in somebody that hasn’t worked on a game before, especially if they’re not a coder or an artist. Someone that normally isn’t involved in games.

4. stqn says:

I wonder if trying to find an idea for this theme will be as depressing as “industry” and “greed”… I hope not.

• well it may well be if those are your greatest fears sorry.

if thats the case feel free to take any other fear people have, there are plenty to choose from, and I’m not going to complain if you ignore the theme entirely, maybe whoever you want to work with will come up with something? :)

5. Manuel777 says:

oh boy, i think i might enter this one, even if i dont personally like MiniLD’s… my dad is a great artist trough.. he might be able to work with me :D

6. Spunkmeyer says:

brain-encoded: to fear the own death… great theme ;-)

7. Geti says:

Keen for this, might actually feasibly have time, too :D
    I always end up invited to something involving booze and couches right in the middle of these things <_<

8. MrDude says:

I’m not going to lie to all of you: My partner for this is my stuffed fox Charles Feynman.

Dr. Feynman doesn’t usually make games, so this will be a new experience for him.

9. Martoon says:

I’m thinking something along the lines of having everyone I know (online, IRL, etc.) contribute somehow via a survey, or by playing with a tool I make, etc. Don’t know, exactly. Just the idea of lots of people’s input somehow being central to the game itself. Though the more I think of this, the more it screams “feature creep”.

10. MrDude says:

I’m thinking about making a sequel to my warmup game for the Mini-LD. I may make a level editor between now and then and try to get folks to contribute levels to it.

Mind you, that would take it well outside of the time limit. But, if Sophie doesn’t care too much about the time limit, I don’t see why I should. :)

I will need to solve some problems before then (Such as getting a clean way of clamping entities out of the terrain and each other as opposed to the brute force method I’m using now as well as editing external files in a Flash app), but that’s part of the fun.

I’m looking forward to this!

11. This is a wonderful idea Sophie! I also really respect that you stated explicitly “no ratings” so we know what to expect, and you won’t get bitched at for not opening up voting, etc. My greatest fears could make a very depressing game… birth defects, cancer, car accidents… but somewhere in there could be a really powerful and original game.

Perhaps it is the story of my wife dying in a car accident and her unborn baby surviving but with terminal cancer. If I can just figure out a way to overcome these fears, or become victorious against them (eg. you save her and the baby by becoming a microscopic super hero). Perhaps my non-game “partner” will be the ultrasound images of my soon-to-be first child! Could I make a game out of these images somehow? Hmmm!

Yikes! This will definitely be a unique and interesting miniLD. =)

12. Devenger says:

Theme subversion is the name of the game. That, or I’m not thinking epic enough. Regardless, I mentioned the contest to my brother and he suggested the fear of seeing people in the distance that you know, but don’t want to talk to, and trying to avoid being spotted by them so as to avoid the awkward conversation. This could make an okay game mechanic, I think! And I could get my brother on board for writing some awkward dialogue lines for when you get spotted, and suchlike.

I tried to enter LD18 with only 14 hours left, programmed some stuff for 8 hours, gave up because of a nasty headache, then promptly fell ill for half a week. So I’ll probably just calmly take a whole weekend with this. Less time pressure is nice.

13. Count me in, but, since this miniLD isn’t juried, I’m probably going to cheat on the theme, not because I don’t like it, but because it’s -too- good a theme.

When I was much younger, they showed us a movie in Sunday school about the end of the world, and various people simply disappeared, and for weeks afterward, I had the most horrifying nightmares where I would wake up and the planet would be devoid of humans except for me, and to tap into my deepest fears, I would want to make something set in a dystopian future, perhaps after a thermonuclear war where the protagonist is somewhere alone, where I could explore my fears of dying alone, my fears of being stranded, etc. I think one could make some really awesome games with this – Dead Space and Metroid Prime sort of go in this direction – but it’s far beyond my skill level to really do it justice in the time allotted.

Fishing, on the other hand…

Either that or Double Zombie Rainbows.

14. MrDude says:

I’m looking forward to this.

I’m likely to cheat on the time limit, though. I really want to make something at least moderately detailed.

(I’m leaning toward a ninja game which would be a sequel to something I’ve just started on)

15. Sounds like DZR is making a massive comeback, at least three people mentioned wanting to use it!

I absolutely love that we can put 48 hours non-sequentially into this, I think a lot of people are going to enjoy the relaxed rules.

16. Daniel Zoran says:

Coolness! I will participate, and will be doing it this weekend – since it is holiday around here, I will have the time and hopefully the focus to that.. Hope to make something cool. :-)

17. phidinh6 says:

Hey guys. So I’ve just stumbled onto this website and concept, very interested in starting off with this Mini LD, probably have something done by the weekend… Just couple of questions, what do we do with entries once completed, is there any where to submit? Also I keep reading a lot about ratings, where does this take place?

This sounds like its going to be really fun, can’t wait to get started

• hey phidinh6, welcome! :)

– “what do we do with entries once completed, is there any where to submit?”
      you will need to upload them somewhere online first, (using something like dropbox or the like, but if you have your own webhost thats even cooler). from there you can link to the game file from this website, I *think* there will be submission system in place, but if not making a journal post that links to the game will be fine, either way I shall post more details when the event is underway proper :)

– “Also I keep reading a lot about ratings, where does this take place?”
      Ratings normally take place during the ‘main’ Ludum Dares, and it’s up to the host of each mini to decide if they will have them, as I’m hosting the mini this month, and I dont want it to be in any way competative or pressured, there wont be any rating of each others games, though everyone will be free to provide comment and critique of course, but I dont want people ranking games on numbers this month :)

hope that clears stuff up, and again, welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here :)

18. phidinh6 says:

I’m finding this to be a very difficult theme! Everyone has their own fears but to turn that into a game idea is challenging!

19. pyano says:

I wonder if the fear that wins will be unique or common? I think it would be fun to make a animal-raising type game, where you design and care for your own grotesque abomination.

20. MrDude says:

I’m using the Mini-LD as an excuse to force myself to finish something. Starting about 6 days early, but still as a part of the Mini-LD.

Designed purely to be something I can finish, but it’ll hopefully still be fun.

Though I suppose a game about a blue fox (Complete with blonde hair in a bun tied with a big bow) fighting dogs to save her stuffed toy doesn’t play to any sort of fear. (Unless you’re afraid of cute animals)

So… With the theme being ignored… Meh.

Though my girlfriend has agreed to help me here and there with playtesting. (Plus, the main character is inspired by her, including the hairdo)

21. phidinh6 says:

I’ve finally finished my first LD game! Talk about an exhausting weekend… Time to write up my journal post and go to sleep, in time for work on Monday. Love this site!

22. I’m starting my entry!

Quest for Meaning…

48 hours from now, prepare to be afraid!

23. bear says:

Can the weekend come any sooner?
    I”m going to make a fishing game were you use cute animals as bait for piranha’s. :D

24. gtjuggler says:

Great initiative :) I have a friend back home who has some serious traditional art skills but has never made a game. I might be getting in touch with him…

25. [...] The competition theme is “biggest fear”, and one of my biggest fears is a meaningless life. Not only that, but a meaningless eternity. Pictures for Sad Children has a very similar theme at times and it helped inspire parts of this game (though I couldn’t find a good way to work in “monster most vulnerable when heaving with sobs”). [...]

26. Entry completed, view the write up here: Quest for Meaning Writeup

And the game here:

Quest for Meaning

27. phidinh6 says:

Can I submit a second entry? I was bored and made another game, for the greatest fear theme.

28. JakeL168 says:

How long is this event going on?

29. bedroomcoder says:

I have thrown my hat into the ring. First time I’ve ever entered a competition. :)

30. tmlxndr says:

I’m going to have a go at this. I’ve got an idea. Can the person who’s never made a game be me? I did one unplayable experiment in Construct, but apart from that… nothing.

31. Since the deadline is relaxed, I’m going to sleep on a couple of things before I submit my game tomorrow :) http://cl.ly/2YtQ – Let’s hope is for the best!

32. Tim Hardy says:

Taken advantage of the relaxed deadline to submit my first game and my first entry to a LD contest. Write up here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2010/10/02/the-persistence-of-memory/

Game here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/144981/ThePersistenceOfMemory.zip
    (Requires python and pygame.)

It was fun to write and I hope it provides a few minutes of fun for at least one other person!

33. amitdesai.nomadlife.org