About | Rules and Guide | Sign In/Create Account | Write a Post
Construction1990’s Internet Montage? No!
Please excuse the site weirdness. Mike is fixing and making things.
Ludum Dare 31 — Coming December 5th-8th 2014!

• ??? Begins: in 7 days, 20 hours, 55 minutes, 59 seconds
  • October Ends: in 8 days, 21 hours, 7 minutes, 59 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 31 begins: in 43 days, 21 hours, 55 minutes, 59 seconds
  • (FYI: Clock might be off) | Ludum Dare 31: Real World Gatherings (Now Open!)

[ October Challenge 2014 | Resources | Submit/Edit | View All ]

What I Plan to Do – Forget the Theme, I’ve Got a Plan

Posted by (twitter: @henrythescot)
    August 20th, 2010 1:29 pm

I’ve decided that the theme can stuff itself. I’m entering the jam anyway, and if teams and proprietary codebases are allowed I don’t see why I have to stick to the theme. Simple as that.

Instead, I’m going to make a shmup. It’ll be a side-scrolling shmup with procedural levels and hopefully a fairly nice weapon system.

I’m hoping that it’ll be a fun game, especially since it’d be the first shmup I’ve made in years. (I’ve only made one other shmup, and it was the 3rd game I’d ever made. It was in Java using Swing, for the record, and it wasn’t all that great)

5 Responses to “What I Plan to Do – Forget the Theme, I’ve Got a Plan”

1. pants12 says:

good luck!

2. Chaoseed says:

I bet you could make “a side-scrolling shmup with procedural levels and hopefully a fairly nice weapon system” that nevertheless incorporates the theme in some way…Whatever the theme turns out to be. ;)

• MrDude says:

Yes, but I’ve already got a fair bit of design done. I just want to make a fairly direct shmup at the moment. I may incorporate the theme, but I might not. I don’t feel as attached to it, though.

Besides, I feel left out from the “anything goes” nature of the jam by not breaking any compo rules! I want to do at least *something* that would disqualify me in the compo! (A lame excuse, but still a valid one, I think)

3. jovoc says:

just add some zombies and two rainbows.

4. sfernald says:

Wait, I thought it was two zombies and one rainbow!? Am I f*cked?