Ludum Dare 18 has begun!

Posted by (twitter: @ludumdare)
August 20th, 2010 7:02 pm

The theme: Enemies as Weapons

Check out the results of the voting here. Check out the keynote here.

And if you haven’t already, check out the new Rules and Guide page for what’s new in this, our first Ludum Dare Competition and Jam Dual Event!

Interesting Tags: montage, motivation, foodphoto, deskphoto

17 Responses to “Ludum Dare 18 has begun!”

1. MrPhil says:

Yes, I already have an idea!

2. Perrin says:

This is a really hard one for me. My games usually have neither enemies nor weapons. But I shall prevail.

3. xhunterko says:

WOOO-HOOOO!

4. toadfrogs says:

Sounds cool! I’ll think of a game for this 😀

5. jovoc says:

I was kind of thinking along the lines of an art game this time, but this game lends itself so well to a platformer or shmup or something… and I’ve always wanted to make a platformer for one of these compos… so here goes nothing…

6. rAzzB1tcH says:

Oh man, I have an awesome idea. Wasn’t too fond of this theme but now I’m having second thoughts.

Good luck everybody! 😀

7. Osgeld says:

still not fond of this theme, but its a compo not a wishlist 😉

8. Raspadsistema says:

I hate it :(
    It is too limiting, I’m into original stuff, and this theme assumes there must be such things as enemies and weapons. Now I’ll only participate if some genius idea comes me.

• Robert Swan says:

I agree – its a terrible choice. It puts massive constraints on game style and gameplay. My prediction: 200+ entries with almost no variation. Have fun judging. Am still contemplating whether I can be bothered to enter.

• robolee says:

I also agree, I will not be entering this year, I’m actually really annoyed now. I’m not one to be like “hur I can totally take this out of context or use it as a very small portion of the game”, and so I would just create what someone else has. The theme sucks and all that voted in favour of it should be ashamed.

There are many ideas but they’ve mostly already been done already, and probably the best use of the theme: unbeatable enemies that can only be killed with their own attacks which legend of zelda games and many others have already done, but it’s only usually used for a few boss battles because a whole game based around the idea would be stupid.

Basically people should feel bad for voting in favour of it.

• austinbreed says:

I’ve been sitting at my desk for the past 6 hours trying to think of something. Enemies as weapons has been done to death.

• sf17k says:

I’ve actually thought about making a game with an idea like this one year ago, just on my own, and couldn’t come up with anything. I’m out of the compo too, but it’ll be interesting to see how many and what quality entries there are. Maybe people will finally put more thought into picking themes.

9. bluescrn says:

I don’t think it’s a bad theme – considering how many terrible ones made it into the voting. Not one of the best, but I think there’s plenty of thinks that could be done with it

Think of Mario games for some nice examples, the ways that Mario (+Yoshi) could use enemies to defeat other enemies.

Or something completely different, like mind control abilities in RPGs. Or anything that agressively attacks a player, and can be manipulated into hitting other targets.

10. Qbopper says:

Hey, it’s a comment not hating the theme.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

I joined to find there was only 3 hours left.