Ludum Dare 35
The Theme is:
Shapeshift

Judging ends in
Click here to start

PlayRate80Star

Thanks everyone for coming out! For the next 3 weeks, we’ll be Playing and Rating the games you created.
You NEED ratings to get a score at the end. Play and Rate games to help others find your game.
We’ll be announcing Ludum Dare 36’s August date alongside the results.

Time Limit

Posted by
August 19th, 2010 12:22 pm

I’m also curious what you guys think about themes like “time limit” getting voted so far down. I think working within boundaries helps people be creative and a theme like “time limit,” I think, forces designers to be creative and allows a lot of flexibility. What do you guys think?

Also: I tried to complete on time for LD7 and LD17 but failed both times. Let’s hope the third time is the charm!

7 Responses to “Time Limit”

1. bluescrn says:

I’ll never understand LD48 voters… To me ‘Time Limit’ is quite a nice theme – flexible enough to do a lot of fun things.

How the heck does ‘Claustrophobia’ come out top in round 2, where something that may be a little boring – but easy to work with – like ‘Wheels’ comes out absolute bottom

There’s themes in the shortlists that would utterly decimate the number of entrants – simply becase they’re so obscure and hard to work with…

Maybe that’s the rationale behind some voters – Get ‘hard’ themes to the top – force as many drop-outs as possible, and reduce the amount of competition?!?!

2. Jonny D says:

I expect that people vote for what inspires them. ‘Time limit’ doesn’t sound inspiring, it just sounds like a particular gameplay element which appears in many, many games. ‘Claustrophobia’ gives you a feeling. Game devs can channel these feelings into a fun and/or unique game design. ‘Wheels’, if you can follow the idea here, is too generic and doesn’t excite.

3. Codexus says:

I think ‘Time Limit’ is a bit too generic and plain vanilla but it could certainly work. But honestly this time I didn’t spend much time thinking about what to vote, just went through the list and voted most of them down except for a few that I thought would be fun.

But you can still make a game with a time limit no matter what gets voted in the end.

4. SonnyBone says:

Time Limit is a great theme, I think. The potential for a 4th wall shattering LUDUM DARE: THE GAME would be amazing.

5. jovoc says:

I didn’t like time limit because it’s too specific. We’d end up with a bunch of random games all with time limits. I think a more abstract theme without a straighforward interpretation is more interesting because you see all the different things people do with it. I don’t think it discourages anyone.

Of course, if you are attached to a particular theme, you can always incorporate that into your game. I’ve done that a few times.

• hdon says:

I really feel differently. I think a lot of the times, entrants fail to meet the deadline or end up with a sub-par product because their basic premise is too complex. Conversely, I theorize that a simple premise allows you to finish your initial vision very quickly, and then work more ideas, content, and code into the game a piece at a time, giving it an organic composition!