Ludum Dare 31
December 5th-8th, 2014

October Challenge 2014
Ending Soon!

ConstructionPlease excuse the site weirdness. Mike is making and fixing things. Clocks are probably wrong. Colors are place-holder.

What is Ludum Dare?
Rules / Guide

Time Limit

Posted by
August 19th, 2010 12:22 pm

I’m also curious what you guys think about themes like “time limit” getting voted so far down. I think working within boundaries helps people be creative and a theme like “time limit,” I think, forces designers to be creative and allows a lot of flexibility. What do you guys think?

Also: I tried to complete on time for LD7 and LD17 but failed both times. Let’s hope the third time is the charm!

7 Responses to “Time Limit”

1. bluescrn says:

I’ll never understand LD48 voters… To me ‘Time Limit’ is quite a nice theme – flexible enough to do a lot of fun things.

How the heck does ‘Claustrophobia’ come out top in round 2, where something that may be a little boring – but easy to work with – like ‘Wheels’ comes out absolute bottom

There’s themes in the shortlists that would utterly decimate the number of entrants – simply becase they’re so obscure and hard to work with…

Maybe that’s the rationale behind some voters – Get ‘hard’ themes to the top – force as many drop-outs as possible, and reduce the amount of competition?!?!

2. Jonny D says:

I expect that people vote for what inspires them. ‘Time limit’ doesn’t sound inspiring, it just sounds like a particular gameplay element which appears in many, many games. ‘Claustrophobia’ gives you a feeling. Game devs can channel these feelings into a fun and/or unique game design. ‘Wheels’, if you can follow the idea here, is too generic and doesn’t excite.

3. Codexus says:

I think ‘Time Limit’ is a bit too generic and plain vanilla but it could certainly work. But honestly this time I didn’t spend much time thinking about what to vote, just went through the list and voted most of them down except for a few that I thought would be fun.

But you can still make a game with a time limit no matter what gets voted in the end.

4. SonnyBone says:

Time Limit is a great theme, I think. The potential for a 4th wall shattering LUDUM DARE: THE GAME would be amazing.

5. jovoc says:

I didn’t like time limit because it’s too specific. We’d end up with a bunch of random games all with time limits. I think a more abstract theme without a straighforward interpretation is more interesting because you see all the different things people do with it. I don’t think it discourages anyone.

Of course, if you are attached to a particular theme, you can always incorporate that into your game. I’ve done that a few times.

• hdon says:

I really feel differently. I think a lot of the times, entrants fail to meet the deadline or end up with a sub-par product because their basic premise is too complex. Conversely, I theorize that a simple premise allows you to finish your initial vision very quickly, and then work more ideas, content, and code into the game a piece at a time, giving it an organic composition!