Base code etc

Posted by
August 19th, 2010 10:29 am

I’m not yet sure I’ll participate, but in the event that I do so, I will probably use some helper code I’ve written earlier, the most exciting being freetype OpenGL font rendering. Here’s a zip of it all. It’s written in D.

In addition, I’ll probably use the init/main loop code from one of my earlier entries. For example, here’s my source from MiniLD #19.

7 Responses to “Base code etc”

1. jovoc says:

That’s awesome that you’re using D. I’ve really been interested in learning it, but haven’t had a time yet to play with it. I’ll definitely check out your entry.

2. stqn says:

If I can find a game idea that goes with the theme, I’ll very probably use D too, with some SDL.

I’m reading the D programming language book which describes D v2 and I’m quite disappointed (both by the book and the language) because it’s so complicated, but I like D v1.

• jovoc says:

I like the D book (I like alexandrescu’s sense of humor). It seems refreshingly simple to me, I guess that means I’ve been doing too much C++. If a typename can fit on a single line, it’s not doing it’s job, right?

However, I have yet to write anything non-trivial with D.

Also keeping an eye on golang, I think D and Go are going to be the C++ and C of the next decade. I hope so, at least.

• stqn says:

I think Alexandrescu targetted the book at native English speakers who also spent the last 10 years building C++ compilers, and I’m neither of that :]. For me the jokes and other strange ways to say things (cultural references…) only make the information harder to understand. (Even though I’ve programmed in C++ professionaly for 4 years.)

Haven’t looked at golang yet; but if it’s simpler that D maybe I should :).

• wyverex says:

The nice thing is that you don’t have to use the advanced features, but they are there when you need them. You can just write C code if you wanted. D is simpler then C++, that was part of the reason for the language.

D with SDL is great for LD.

Good luck!

3. wyverex says:

I am glad to see more and more people using D. D makes coding and less error prone. When I did mini LD 20 a lot less time trying to fix bugs. I hope use give LD a try this weekend, even if you just submit to the jam.

4. jolle says:

Fun to see some other folks use D. I didn’t really expect any response.

I’ll be using D1 (have been using it since it went stable) but will probably move on to D2 soon since it’s gone stable. Am currently reading the book.