A shocking question!

Posted by (twitter: @McFunkypants)
August 18th, 2010 9:46 pm

I have a shocking and highly embarrassing question to ask. I fully expect to be ridiculed and berated and will surely feel like a complete ignorant fool.

What does “Ludum Dare” mean?

Where did the term come from? What is the history? What language is it? Is it an acronym? A secret password? Latin?

I’ve heard people prononouce it “Loo-dum Dah-ray” and also “Luh-dum Dair”, so the second part of my question is: how do you pronounce it?

11 Responses to “A shocking question!”

1. PoV says:

We used to have an FAQ, then we started having spambot problems. Here’s Ludum Dare 16’s:

So yes, latin. Ludus and Do, conjugated somehow. We were looking an websites the other day to check.

I think proper pronunciation is the first one, but I’ve never cared about done much research in to latin, so I say dare as you would dare to say it.

2. moltanem2000 says:

In all seriousness, Mike Hommel (Hamumu) Gave a very accurate description of Ludum Dare’s illustrious history in his LD15 Keynote address. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6xT4zxWjys
    In case you wish to know more

3. Covenant says:

About the pronunciation, I think it’s “Loodoom Dahre”… Basing this on the fact that latin is very similar in pronunciation to portuguese, and that’s how we would do it.

• Jonny D says:

The -um ending has a short vowel sound in Latin.

• Covenant says:

Yeah, the “oo” I did there is more to show the type of sound than lenght, but you’re totally right… The sound is different from “um” that some posters did, imo… But as I said, I’m basing this in my portuguese knowledge, not latin… The important thing is that the “m” is almost (but not quite) silent…

4. dreid2694 says:

It literally means to give or offer a game; it is also an expression meaning to give or let someone have their fun. And it is pronounced as loo-doom duh-reh, but the first u is long and the second is short–unfortunately English uses many letters and combinations of letter to make the same sounds, and most make several different sounds. So the first u would be pronounced like the double o diphthong in mood or moot and the second u would be pronounced like the double o diphthong in soot or foot.