MiniLD #19 Rules

Posted by
June 5th, 2010 1:16 pm

As mentioned in Announcing MiniLD #19, MiniLD #19 will take place the second weekend in June, more specifically June 12 to 13. It will be fairly traditional.

The theme will be posted at 00:00 UTC on June 12. For reference, this is 09:00 JST, 02:00 CEST (Saturday), or 20:00 EDT, 17:00 PDT (Friday). This time should be at the latest, I might possibly post it before I go to sleep on Friday, in which case it will be a couple of hours earlier. There’s no specific end time, but you are expected to pick a 48h slot during the weekend.

The rules will be like an ordinary LD 48h, only a little bit more relaxed. You don’t need to post base code, or submit the source (though it’s encouraged). You should still make all the assets (excluding fonts) and write the game code during the compo. If you are unfamiliar with the usual LD 48h rules, I suggest you take a look at the LD wiki and read under the Ludum Dare #16 heading.

I’ll see if we can get some simplified voting, with just one or two categories, running for a week or so.

Of course, if you don’t like the rules or the theme, you are still very much welcome to hang around here and in #ludumdare and do your own thing. But if we end up having voting, you might not be eligible for it, not that that should stop you.

Update, June 12: The theme has been posted and it’s on!

11 Responses to “MiniLD #19 Rules”

1. MrDude says:

Being straightforward has its merits!

This is gonna be awesome! It’ll be like a dry-run for a real LD, but there’ll be people holding me semi-accountable! And the theme isn’t being chosen by a friend who’s never been in a compo! Yeah!

2. Praetor57 says:

At very least I’ll hang around irc and work on *something*, I sorta promised to rewrite/improve my LD17 game after the crazy response it got, so that’ll probably be my project for the first couple weeks of summer; but if the theme is especially inspiring I might go ahead and try something new.

3. rtsl says:

Why don’t you announce on Twitter? Just wondering.

4. Tyler says:

Regarding the conversation about engine/no engine during the last Ludum Dare… Will programs like Unity be acceptable, or will this be code only?

• jolle says:

Unity should be fine. I don’t actually know everything Unity can do, but it’s pretty much fine as long you write the actual game code. Then there’s the question where the line goes of what what is game code and what is not, but it’s not that important. We’re not very picky for minis.

5. hamburger says:

Sounds like fun, but I’m not going to make it this weekend. Trying to finish up my Action 52 game.

6. pants12 says: