Throwing in the Towel

Posted by (twitter: @frimkron)
April 25th, 2010 12:19 pm

Well, I’m going to have to give up, I’m afraid. Here’s a screenshot of the latest version:

shot3

I’m not going to submit it because there’s nothing even resembling a game in there.

When I got up on Saturday I had a really good idea for a game, and I still think the idea is a good one, but unfortunately over the last day-and-a-bit I’ve just not been able to keep up the pace required to see it take shape.

The game was going to be a worms-style turn-based aim-and-shoot type game, but with the idea of strategically capturing islands thrown in there too – by launching soldiers onto unclaimed islands, building more cannons there, and increasing the chances of hitting and damaging your opponent’s fortress.

I’m going to blame this one on the fact that I’ve not slept very well over the last few days and this weekend I was severly lacking in energy and enthusiasm.

I’m a little disappointed with myself to say the least, because I’d been looking forward to this LD for weeks and I thought the theme was pretty flexible and inspiring.

I will endevour to finish this game at a later date, because I feel I really need to do justice to my original idea and in particular I would love to see it as a network game.

And next time, I’m going to do the following:

  • Prepare – I should have got my timelapse software ready, as well as any libraries I would need and so on. I should also have familiarised myself with a good 3d modeler for Linux.
  • Sleep – More sleep before the competition and I probably would have had a decent game by now.
  • Keep it very simple – I’ve decided that if the core gameplay can’t realistically be finished in the first day, then the idea is too complicated. I tend to be far too ambitious when it comes to picking a game idea, either by incorporating some experimental code idea or by underestimating the work required for a seemingly simple feature because of a lack of experience with it.
  • Stick to what I know – I wasted a lot of time trying to paint sprites in Gimp, then finding that they were anti-aliased onto the wrong colour background and fixing the outlines them to work with colour-keyed alpha. In the end I gave up and switched back to pixelling sprites in Graphics Gale (though none of these have made it into my screenshot)

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]