Wikiventure went far better than I was expecting. Mainly because I wasn’t expecting anything remotely interesting. I’m still working on it, in fact, adding new things – just today I added user-input via a text-box and tags which react to that input, and score and cash variables that can be checked and modified. I’m really enjoying it, and plan to add a basic battle system like in proper game books. 😛
What went well
- The basic game, taking pages from the wiki and letting you travel between them, was very quick and easy to set-up. Then it was just a case of feature-creep for the rest of the weekend, which was perfect for me!
- People took an interest and wrote some content for me! 😛
What went badly
- Spent rather a long time at the start battling with C++ libraries before moving to PHP. Though that did help me come-up with an idea.
- Also spent rather a long time at the end trying to fix an infinite loop, but managed to do so before the deadline, so no real bad points. 😀
What I would do differently
- Plan-out code structure before writing it. I spent quite a while on the Sunday rewriting all the tag-parsers to remove a lot of repeated code. There’s still a lot now.
- Put time into writing content! I only actually created two areas, as a test right at the start before I’d added any tags, and then I kind-of expected people to write my content for me. Which some people did, but it was horribly lazy of me.
Things I’d like to add
- Cookies or some other way of keeping things persistent between sessions. Could tie it to user-accounts on my site.
- Combat system, mentioned already.
- More levels of persistence than ‘IFVISITED’ and ‘IFNVISITED’, so that the player wouldn’t necessarily have to follow the same set of actions multiple times.
- Any other stuff I happen to think-up.
So yeah, it went pretty well. I’ll keep working on it and maybe it’ll become something really interesting.