Cave Dangerous Post-Mortem

Posted by (twitter: @fydo)
September 5th, 2009 7:21 pm

I figured now that I’m done rating everyone’s game, I’d sit down and write up a little post-mortem for my game, Cave Dangerous. Cave Dangerous is a fun little exploratory platformer with a minimalist inventory system. I had lots of fun creating it for the Ludum Dare 15 competition.

The good

  • I actually finished this time! The last Ludum Dare I was in (Roads), I did not finish due to some unfamiliarity with AS3, among other issues and time constraints. So, yay for finishing!
  • Even though I did suffer through a short internet outage, I managed to make good use of that offline time to work on some pixel sprites for the game, which really helped to set the artistic “vision” for Cave Dangerous.
  • First time using Visual Studio in a compo, and it was quite enjoyable. Well, except for some major deployment issues (see below)

The Bad

  • Originally planned to do something in 3D, but was feeling uninspired facing the modeller. Also, a quick test revealed my .obj loader was (again) not working correctly. So, scrapped that idea.
  • As with every platformer I’ve made for a compo, I spent too much time tweaking / fixing the jumping and collision code. I think in the future, I’ll see about preparing some basic tile-based collision code ahead of time so I can focus more on the actual game.
  • This was my first time trying Visual Studio with a compo entry, and it was very enjoyable up until I had to package it up to release it. I ended up almost pulling my hair out in frustration (why do I have to package a C++ redistributable? argh!). A website that I found (here: http://llbit.se/?p=19) explains pretty much exactly what happened to me. I ended up using mingw32 to compile the exe, which worked perfectly. Sheesh.
  • Didn’t have enough time to add an explosion sound effect for the bomb. Apparently this is what most people complained about (aside from the length of the game) judging by the comments I got from the ratings.

As another “behind the scenes look”, here are some pics of the miner before I settled on the final image:

old-minerguyplayer-old


2 Responses to “Cave Dangerous Post-Mortem”

  1. sgstair says:

    It’s just a bit obscure to build a binary in Visual Studio that doesn’t require the redistributable, but not hard – I do this a lot so here’s how:
    Go to the Project Properties, Configuration Properties -> C/C++ -> Code Generation
    Then change your “Runtime Library” option from “… DLL” to the same entry without DLL

    Then, your exe grows by a bit, and you no longer need the redistributable package.

  2. fydo says:

    sgstair, you are my hero. *high-fives*

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]