Here’s my first entry into LD/mini-LD:
Play the game at:http://www.echelon5.net/max/STB.swf
I present to you:
Stygian Tunnel Beast!
Stygian Tunnel Best is a game where, as you might have guessed, the player is a Stygian tunnel beast. Don’t worry if you’ve not heard of them, I made them up. They’re sort of like the worms from tremors, except they live in the underworld, feed on souls, and are responsible for managing the complex netherworld ecosystem.
The game is built around a semi-sculptable world where the player has to interact with a regenerating set of creatures that live in the world. The player can’t die, but if you only have 1 point of energy left, you will be unable to move. This doesn’t mean you’re dead though, because if you’re lucky and not completely cut off from the rest of the map, a soul might wander into your mouth, giving you energy to move again. If you’re really truly stuck and don’t have enough energy to move, you’ll have to restart the game manually.
There also isn’t any way to win. You can carve up the environment, place tons of obelisks, hoard up energy, thralls, and mana, and occasionally a tough enemy will show up for you to kill, but beyond that there is no end to the game, or any given objectives.
How to play:
– Move around with the arrow keys.
– You can climb along walls and even ceilings, but not around in space. (Note: Moving up along a wall costs 2 energy, and is slower.)
– The x button makes you eat any souls or thralls that happen to be near your mouth. Eating gives you energy. You can hold the button down and happily chow on an oncoming stream of souls.
– The number keys (1-7) select your powers.
– Press c to use the selected power.
– All actions require some energy to do, even moving.
– When you eat souls, you get a bonus 10 energy for each soul beyond the first you eat, so try to batch as many together as possible in 1 place before eating them.
– Mana is required by 2 of your abilities. To get it, you need to create thralls. Either keep your thralls alive and you will slowly gain maina, or eat your thralls for a quick boost.
Gameplay reference: Read more here
Tools used: Flixel, SFXR, WinLAME, FlashDevelop, GraphicsGale, GIMP
– You can get “stuck” in midair. I wanted to overhaul the player movement (and improve the animation), but didn’t have time. If this happens, you can try placing blocks and using them to reach dry land again.
– Souls on the right side of the map walk through the ground often. I have no idea why, but didn’t have time to really debug this. Partly because I like the middle area of the map more anyway..
– I’m sure there are more. In fact there are probably some things I just accept now that are actually bugs 😛
Things I havn’t tried doing in the game yet:
– Destroying/eating every destroyable block. I imagine it would be very difficult…
– Getting more than 200 concurrent thralls. I imagine the game will start slowing down at some point.
– Building a little undead city with a bunch of thralls and obelisks in it. (Wish I had time to expand the game in this direction.)
– make a colony of thralls using only golden souls
I’ll be uploading a dev timelapse later. Time to sleep
EDIT: timelapse can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDbMpd0U-dI