Cat Stacker v2.0

Posted by
May 14th, 2009 7:22 am

My LD12 entry, Cat Stacker, has grown up and now features assorted fruit. Also, instead of the original tetrisy controls, you can click and drag the current piece around with no time pressure (press A and D to rotate). There are 20 levels and it get’s pretty tough. Good luck! (^ _ ^)/

Cat Cat Watermelon

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “Cat Stacker v2.0”

1. matrin says:

Awesome ^_^

2. Dock says:

Wow, fantastic!! I just played for ages, but I got stuck on level 16. I’ll be back to play it another time for certain though. My only complaint is that there isn’t a purely mouse-only control option, although I know that would be tricky to offer with single mouse button input. I love it though, great sound and graphics too!

3. noonat says:

I’ve been passing this around at work. Superb! The win music is so great… I keep starting the game and beating the first level just so I can leave the music playing in the background. :) The later levels are so brutal…

4. lexaloffle says:

Heh.. isn’t the music a bit repetative for that?

I set out to make it mouse-only, but, yeah.. it ended up being too complex. I was doing ‘click outside the object and then move the cursor to rotate’.. but it felt more like a 3d modelling program interface. If I’m doing something with my left hand, like eating, I tend to rotate pieces by pushing them against the wall at the bottom. :p

Forgot to mention.. there’s a silly secret level on the selection screen down to the right.

5. DrPetter says:

You could try something along the lines of what I had for CherryBrush pan/rotate before changing to a more conventional interface – track a “lagging” point behind the mouse cursor, delayed by a few frames, and use the vector between that and the current cursor to infer rotation if the user “swirls” the mouse rather than moving in a straight line, stopping, then moving straight again. I guess you need an additional point too, or an inertial direction vector.
    The idea is that you do a dot product between the “expected/current” direction and the “new” one, which will be 1.0 as long as it’s moving in a straight line, but decrease as the path is curved. I guess using cross product would give similar results but with directionality for free, so you can just compare against zero to get direction and magnitude.

It can be a bit fiddly to use if you need tiny adjustments, but the current button scheme doesn’t allow infinite precision either so it might be ok.

6. lexaloffle says:

That’s an interesting idea.. I just tried it out now and it’s quite fun twirling cats around. I tried a variation too where if you grab an object away from the center point, it points in the direction of the mouse (as if you’re moving the head of a floaty ribbon around). A bit fiddly in practice in both cases though, so I went back to good ol’ keys. Hrm.