Ludum Dare 31
Theme:
Entire Game on One Screen

Judging ends in:
It’s time to Play and Rate Games!

PlayRate80Star

MINI LD#8! THEME: MASH-UP

Posted by (twitter: @ludumdare)
March 6th, 2009 3:00 pm

THEME: MASH-UP!
Select two previously existing LD entries ( see them here: The Grid ), and make a game that combines them!  One of the two may be your own entry if you wish, but they can’t both be.

What does it mean to mash up two games?  That’s up to you!  Maybe you’ll have the player from one game face the enemies and world of the other game, or you’ll combine gameplay elements from both, or you’ll steal the theme and setting from one game and the gameplay of the other.  It’s up to you!  Use whatever you want from the two games to create a horrifying two-headed freakbaby! Your game can be remarkably similar to one of them, a perfect blend of both, or nothing like either, as long as deep in your heart you were intending to combine them.

Standard LD rules apply, so even though you are working from someone else’s ideas, you’ll have to create all the art, sound, and code yourself rather than stealing theirs.  So find your two favorites, and get to work!

You have until 3pm PST on Sunday to get ‘er done!

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “MINI LD#8! THEME: MASH-UP”

1. HybridMind says:

Awesome theme! Am I right in guessing that we don’t really need to “call out” or reserve our two choices as the likelihoods of them being the same percentage blend as another person are rather low?

2. Hamumu says:

It’d be fun to discuss, but I don’t think we have anything to fear (plus, fun to see two people work from the same pair anyway!)

3. hamburger says:

Let’s mash ‘em up! I guess I need to spend some time checking out old LD games.

4. HybridMind says:

yeah.. i’m finding parsing that grid difficult.. heh. Very small screenshots.. tough to get an idea from them most times. Like Hamumu said though.. this is about history… :) So in that way we are getting very familiar with the archives. So far.. I’m getting a high percentage of Hamumu games strangely enough. Guess you make enticing thumbnails.. ;)

5. hamburger says:

For anybody else who is intimidated by the grid like I am, if you want a little extra structure you can also check the results of any past LD with the link

just replace the “XX” with the compo number you’re interested in.

6. HybridMind says:

Good tip hamburger! I’m gonna try that cuz I actually have been quite lost in there. :)

7. hamburger says:

err, I guess that trick doesn’t work on anything prior to LD10.

8. increpare says:

bah; I don’t think I’ll be entering this one; going to try do an unthemed project this weekend. However: good luck to everyone else: might you all produce stunning works of art.

Later guys,

increpare

9. HybridMind says:

I think I’m bailing too. Saturday my wife and I got a new puppy and combined with a great sunny warm day and I didn’t get much code done…. oh well. Look forward to checking out the entries though!