Cryptid Puzzle Challenge – Final!

Posted by
February 8th, 2009 3:34 pm

Hey folks- finished my game:

CONCEPT:

You’ve received 4 scrambled images of possible cryptids:

Use your Crypto-Computer ™ to unscramble them!

You have 1 minute to complete your task before the
evidence is lost forever.  You will receive a
30 second bonus for each cryptid you discover.

Each cryptid image is made up of 4 individual pieces.
Unscramble each cryptid by clicking on the numbered boxes
to rotate a distinct piece of the puzzle image.

* Left mouse button for clockwise rotation.
* Right mouse button for counter-clockwise rotation.

Enjoy!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Cryptid Puzzle Challenge – Final!”

1. hamburger says:

I liked your game a lot. Feels really solid and complete with the visuals and sounds that are in there.

I’m surprised how hard it is! I was expecting the images to become obvious after a couple of rotations, but I guess that’s not the case with 4 images. Would 3 be a lot easier?

The bigfoot image worked best for me because I could make out the general body shape from the beginning and knew what I was shooting for; on the others, I basically resorted to random fiddling till they came together at the very end. I can see how I’d get better with practice though, which is cool.

2. nilsf says:

Neat game mechanism.
    When I played, the last one was already formed when it loaded so it just announced I’d won right away, you may want to add a check against it being in the right order when you shuffle.

3. GirlFlash says:

this is actually alot trickier than it sounds, but also pretty addictive too.

I think I even enjoyed this 😀

4. increpare says:

okay; that was pretty nice. main thing that would be good would be to autorotate the image the right way around when you complete the puzzle?

good job though, and quite original it was :)

5. grimfang4 says:

I got 1:41 left on my first try! But the last one was tough and getting it was near-accidental for me.

I really like the ideas in there.

6. HybridMind says:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

hamburger: I put bigfoot first because I figured it would be easiest for two reasons: 1) people’s innate ability to recognize human-like faces and 2) each of the 4 image slices contain a lot of the overall image data making this easier. I actually got some playtesting feedback from some people early on that lead me to ordering them the way I did. Everyone felt nessie was the hardest due to the dense solid shapes. I do believe as you said that 3 slices would be far easier than 4. I originally had only 0,90,180,270 degrees of rotation but that was too easy so I added the 45s in between. I contemplated tougher levels where more rotate boxes would appear with each added slice. If I take this idea further I believe there is a lot that can be done just in the creation of each slice (varying color, lines, shapes etc) to ramp the difficulty, then once that is maxed out increasing slices would allow for harder levels on up.

nilsf: probably a good idea– I had noticed near complete images sometimes but hadn’t had an auto complete yet! :)

increpare: I got lazy near the end and didn’t add the auto-rotate effect, I agree that it would be a nice touch. I originally didn’t allow puzzle completion unless it was ‘up’ but I realized after some people playtested that ‘up’ is fairly arbitrary on some of the creatures and could be a few different angles. once I added the any angle completion I wondered about a nice polished auto-rotate but didn’t do that. hehe.

I’m glad everyone has seemed to mostly enjoy this thing so far as well as be able to finish it in the majority of the cases. This is the first puzzle I’ve ever tried creating and I was dumfounded when I realized I had no way to really playtest it myself as I was WAY too familiar with all the slices and final image. I need to build an email list of people who can do rapid playtesting during compo deadlines.. hehe :)

Thanks again for playing it!

7. DifferentMike says:

This was a lot of fun. Neat concept, and intuitive controls. I liked the sounds, they were really good feedback. And the level progression was well thought-out, too…that last level took me a long time! Very cool game. :)

8. mrfun says:

1:44! Very polished, difficulty seemed just about right.