Bees Executable

Posted by
July 10th, 2008 8:06 am

Edited: Added XP version

Ok, after some great no-brainer advice I hadn’t even thought of, I downgraded my openGL and easily made the executable.

You can grab it here for Vista
or
Here for XP

As in the previous post – the idea seems fun to me, but the product just doesn’t do it enough. Please have a play through and give me your comments and advice.

One thing I’m sure it needs is a targeting system for the bees. For some reason I took this out mid-development… It was probably before the humans would flee from the bees stinging them. Anyway, now its a pain in the ass to follow humans around, so I’ll be adding a way for the bees to track their targets.

Another thing to adjust is the scrolling. I think I’ll increase the area on the edges where scrolling starts, but make the distance you pass over it scale the scrolling. In other words, if you are fairly close to the side you won’t scroll as fast as right at the side. Thoughts?

Tags:

10 Responses to “Bees Executable”

1. destroysound says:

I get “The procedure entry point _except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll”.

Am I doing something wrong?

2. keeyai says:

Wow. No, I’m sure it is something I’ve done wrong.

Google says its because XP and Vista don’t play nice together. I’ll find an XP box and build it there as soon as I can.

3. keeyai says:

Ok, it should (might) work now.

FYI – it isn’t enough to just add the vista msvcrt.dll to the mix (and probably not legal anyway). To make it work I had to go to an XP machine, downgrade the pyopengl, and re-package the exe.

4. destroysound says:

eheheheh.

you’re gonna wanna kill me, but:

C:\ldgames\bees-xp>bees
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “bees.py”, line 1602, in
    File “bees.py”, line 45, in __init__
    File “MUA\Core.pyc”, line 196, in __call__
    File “MUA\View\View2D\View2D.pyc”, line 104, in __init__
    File “bees.py”, line 63, in _setup
    File “rabbyt\sprites.pyc”, line 98, in __init__
    File “rabbyt\sprites.pyc”, line 122, in _set_texture
    File “rabbyt\__init__.pyc”, line 192, in autodetect_load_texture
    File “rabbyt\__init__.pyc”, line 154, in pyglet_load_texture
    File “pyglet\image\__init__.pyc”, line 176, in load
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘.\\images\\beeswarm.jpg’

5. keeyai says:

Holy hell. Somehow I messed up my setup.py and left out image files that aren’t pngs… No idea how this happened because I’m SURE I tested to see if it ran on the xp machine I built it on…

Lol. It MIGHT work now – who knows though.

6. Detox says:

works for me now in XP, pretty interesting concept

7. keeyai says:

At least it is working 😀 Now, like the post says, help me pinpoint what is making it un-fun and give some suggestions on where to improve. Like you said, the concept is pretty interesting – however, there seems to be a lot getting in the way.

8. destroysound says:

Well, I only played for a few minutes, but I’ve got a few suggestions:

The main problem in an infinite-resource style RTS like this is encouraging expansion. In this game, there is no real reason to leave the hive until you build up the uber-bee army and are going to win the game anyway. You need to incorporate some reason to actually want to leave the hive and wander around; games like Total Annihilation solve this by making the most powerful resource creating buildings very expensive and adding map-specific control points that will help you during the mid-game (geothermal vents), as well as supplimentary resources scattered around the map that you can mine for a boost (wreckage and ore rocks). Alternatively, you could go for a more traditional limited-resource scheme and just place (exhaustable) resources on the map.

Warcraft 3 has an interesting take on this; the random monsters scattered around the map give you XP and let you level up your hero. It would be cool (and would encourage the kind of play you want to see) if killing the humans actually did something for you rather than just being a goal required to finish the level. This is a mechanic that’s been used in some realtime games (Warcraft 3, Sacrifice) but not nearly enough for my liking. In most RTSes you end up leveling up just by waiting for your ‘scientists’ (or whatever) to research more stuff. This is boring to me and encourages Starcraft-ian clickfests.

The main thing you want to discourage is players just sitting there producing more and more resources until they can storm the map and win by default. The more map-based incentives you have out there that makes it desirable (and nessicary) to stop guarding the base, the more fun it will be imo.

9. Detox says:

Possibly add some humans with bee-killer spraycans to encourage moving or building new hives? I didn’t play long enough to see if they were in there.

I like the triangle bee-type selector.

There are many possibilities of fun stuff you could add – I’m not a big RTS fan but this one could be pretty fun and unique. Just expand on the bee theme

10. keeyai says:

@destroysound: thats a good idea. The bees definitely need some limiting factors — maybe introduce flowers so they have to actually make the honey… Good input – thanks!

@detox: a couple levels (at least one…) has an ‘exterminator’ – its a human dressed in all white that shoots big white clouds of anti-bee spray and never runs from the bees.